HARRISBURG, Pa., April 14, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Education and outreach staff from the Department of Banking and Securities will be meeting with consumers across Pennsylvania during the month of May to discuss financial topics as part of Governor Tom Wolf's Consumer Financial Protection Initiative.
For Senior Citizens
The presentation "Spending Plans" – which outlines the differences between wants and needs; setting "SMART" goals; creating a spending plan; and putting the plan into action – will be offered at the Catawissa Senior Center in Catawissa (Columbia County) on May 26 at 10:30 AM.
"Scam Jam" – which is an interactive and fun way for retirees and seniors to better detect and avoid financial scams – will be offered at the Salvation Army in Tamaqua (Schuylkill County) on May 4 from 9:45 AM to 12:15 PM.
The presentation "Save and Invest PA!" -- which introduces students and young adults to the concepts and practices of saving, investing, and protecting themselves from financial scams -- will be offered to students at the following schools:
- Mahanoy Area High School in Mahanoy City (Schuylkill County) on May 5
- Cocalico High School in Denver (Lancaster County) on May 10
- Southwest Performance Learning Center/High School in Philadelphia on May 12
- William Penn/City of York Senior High School in York (York County) on May 19
- Abington Senior High School in Abington (Montgomery County) on May 25
For General Audiences
The presentation "Avoiding Scams and ID Theft" -- which helps consumers protect themselves from financial scams as well as inform victims of scams how to get help -- will be offered at the following locations:
- Pocono Pines Friendship Center in Pocono Lake (Monroe County) on May 5 at 11:00 AM
- Loder Senior Center in East Stroudsburg (Monroe County) on May 9 at 11:00 AM
- Schuylkill Township Hall in Phoenixville (Chester County) on May 12 at 7:00 PM
- St. Charles Senior Community Center in Philadelphia on May 20 at 11:00 AM
- Cocalico Senior Association in Reinholds (Lancaster County) on May 23 at 9:00 AM
- Lititz Senior Center in Lititz (Lancaster County) on May 23 at 10:30 AM
- Boyertown YMCA in Boyertown (Berks County) on May 25 at 10:00 AM
Representatives from the department will be participating the Lebanon County 50+ Festival in Lebanon (Lebanon County) on May 11 from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
The department's education presentations address three goals of Governor Tom Wolf's Consumer Financial Protection Initiative, announced last November.
The Department of Banking and Securities offers a number of education presentations designed to help consumers of all ages learn how to protect and grow their money. The presentation Calendar of Events can be found online: http://bit.ly/1KIscBZ. Consumers can call 1-800-PA-BANKS for more information or learn more online: http://bit.ly/1UYPruj.
Media contact: Ed Novak, 717-783-4721
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/pennsylvania-consumer-financial-protection-initiative-outreach-schedule-for-may-announced-300251714.html
SOURCE Pennsylvania Department of Banking