HARRISBURG, Pa., Aug. 19, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Education and outreach staff from the Department of Banking and Securities will be meeting with senior citizens, employee and service provider groups, and members of the general public across Pennsylvania during the month of September to discuss financial topics as part of Governor Tom Wolf's Consumer Financial Protection Initiative.
For General Audiences
The presentation "Avoiding Scams and ID Theft" -- which helps consumers protect themselves from financial scams as well as inform victims of scams how to get help -- will be offered at an event sponsored by Senator Tom Killion at Kendal Crossings in Kennett Square (Chester County) on September 15 at 7:30 PM
For Senior Citizens
Department staff will be participating in several senior citizen's expos sponsored by members of the General Assembly, including:
- Rep. Steve McCarter's Senior Fair on September 1 at Reform Congregation Keneseth Israel in Elkins Park (Montgomery County) from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- Rep. Mike Peifer and Rep. Rosemary Brown's Senior Expo on September 2 at the Dingman Township Volunteer Fire Department in Milford (Pike County) from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM
- Senator John Yudichak and Rep. Doyle Heffley's Senior Citizen Expo at Jim Thorpe Memorial Hall in Jim Thorpe (Carbon County) on September 8 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM
- Rep. Todd Stephens' Senior Expo at Montgomery Township Community Center in Montgomeryville (Montgomery County) on September 9 from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- Senator Elder Vogel's Beaver County 55+ Senior Expo at the Community College of Beaver County in Monaca (Beaver County) on September 9 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM
- Senator Gene Yaw and Rep. Garth Everett's Senior Expo at the Pennsdale Civic Center in Muncy (Lycoming County) on September 13 from 9:30 AM to 1:00 PM
- Rep. Pamela DeLissio's Senior Expo at Roxborough Memorial Hospital on 5800 Ridge Avenue in Philadelphia on September 15 from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM
- Rep. Parke Wentling's Senior Citizens' Expo at St. John the Evangelist Parish Center in Girard (Erie County) on September 15 from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM
- Rep. Julie Harhart's Senior Expo at Bethany Wesleyan Church in Cherryville (Northampton County) on September 16 from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM
- Senator Elder Vogel's Lawrence County 55+ Senior Expo at Cascade Park in New Castle (Lawrence County) on September 16 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM
- Senator Robert "Tommy" Tomlinson's Senior Citizens Expo at Falls Manor Catering and Special Events in Bristol (Bucks County) on September 22 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM
- Rep. Sue Helm's Senior Expo at Giant Food Store on 2300 Linglestown Road (2nd Floor Community Center) in Susquehanna Township (Dauphin County) on September 23 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM
- Rep. Dan Miller's Senior Expo at Holy Cross Greek Orthodox Church at 123 Gilkenson Road in Pittsburgh (Allegheny County) on September 29 from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- Rep. Mike Turzai's Senior Health Fair at the Community College of Allegheny County/North Campus, 8701 Perry Highway in Pittsburgh (Allegheny County) on September 30 from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Additionally, the presentation "Spending Plans" – which outlines the differences between wants and needs; setting "SMART" goals; creating a spending plan; and putting the plan into action – will be offered at West Philadelphia Senior Center in Philadelphia, 1016 North 41st Street, on September 7 at 10:30 AM
For Employee/Service Provider Groups
Department staff will be also presenting or participating in several non-public events for employees and service providers, including:
- Training staff members of the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR) in how to teach financial fundamentals to OVR stakeholders and clients in Harrisburg (Dauphin County) on September 13.
- Participating at the PA Association of Retired State Employees Governing Board meeting in Camp Hill (Cumberland County) on September 14.
- Teaching the basics of banking services to PA Housing Finance Agency housing service providers in Scranton (Lackawanna County) on September 23.
The Department of Banking and Securities offers a number of education presentations designed to help consumers of all ages and professionals learn protect and grow their own money and that of clients. The presentation Calendar of Events can be found online: http://bit.ly/1KIscBZ. Consumers and community groups can call 1-800-PA-BANKS or email email@example.com for more information, or learn more online: http://bit.ly/2bjKrTa.
MEDIA CONTACT: Ed Novak, 717-783-4721
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/pennsylvania-consumer-financial-protection-initiative-outreach-schedule-for-september-announced-300315931.html
SOURCE Pennsylvania Department of Banking and Securities