"Insuring the integrity of our state infrastructure is something that must be addressed in order to properly serve those who visit our facilities and ensure the well-being of those who work in them," Governor Wolf said. "This capital budget addresses key projects throughout state agencies that, once completed, will further advance our efforts to be a 'Government That Works.'"
The Governor also noted that the Commonwealth has taken a new approach for issuing projects for design that moves the releases to a quarterly basis to make that part of the project more efficient and informative.
"In the past, projects were not scheduled for release which put the agencies and design professionals in a position where neither had any foresight as to what projects would be released and when," Governor Wolf said. "Under the new approach, projects will be released in a more coordinated fashion."
The Department of General Services is providing more information to help design professionals decide which projects they want to compete for through the revision of the "Design Professional Application for a Specific Project." The application now includes a weighted scoring matrix to inform design professionals on how each criterion will be evaluated from project to project. Prior to advertising for the selection of a design professional, DGS will meet its customer agencies or institutions to review the project program and predetermine the weight of the matrix criteria. The weighted scoring matrix that will be used to evaluated a firm and the project program will be published with the "Advertisement for Professional Selection."
The Fiscal Year 2016-17 Quarter 1 release for design projects by agency follows:
Department of Agriculture
- Farm Show Complex, Dauphin County – facilities upgrade $19,570,000
- Diagnostic Laboratory, Chester County – construct New PA Equine Toxicology & Research Lab at the University of Pennsylvania $500,000
Department of Corrections
- SCI Pine Grove, Indiana County – expand and renovate main control room $680,000
Department of General Services
- Archives Building, Dauphin County – repair or replace sandstone headers $310,000
- Reading State Office Building, Berks County – replace coal boilers $1,000,000
Department of Human Services
- Polk center, Venango County – install new HVAC and controls $900,000
Department of Military & Veterans Affairs
- Phoenixville, Chester County – facility rehabilitation $960,000
Department of Transportation
- Blair County District Office 9-0, Blair County – renovate and expand office to bring building into code compliance; upgrade building's systems, improve program requirements and energy efficiency $345,000
State System of Higher Education
- Clarion University, Venango County – ADA Compliance upgrades, Phase 1 $5,000,000
- Mansfield University, Tioga County – Morris Drive safety enhancement $4,550,000
MEDIA CONTACT: Troy Thompson, 717-787-3197
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/pennsylvania-governor-tom-wolf-announces-approval-of-2016-17-capital-budget-totaling-more-than-276-million-covering-33-projects-300316430.html
SOURCE Pennsylvania Department of General Services