Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission to Award Cultural and Historic Support Grants to Museums, County Historical Societies
HARRISBURG, Pa., Feb. 24, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission (PHMC) is pleased to announce it is awarding nearly $2 million in grants to qualified museums and official county historical societies under the Cultural and Historic Support program.
This is a one-year, interim grant program using funds placed in PHMC's operating budget by the state legislature and restricted for this purpose only.
Working with legislative leadership to determine the best way to distribute the limited funds, applicants must meet organizational eligibility requirements. Awards are based on a calculation that uses the operating budget from the most recently completed fiscal year.
The goals of the General Operating Support Program are:
- Strengthen the Pennsylvania museum community;
- Provide general operating support to museum and official county historical societies that are not supported by other state agency funding programs;
- Provide financial support as unrestricted operating support to address primary needs of museums;
- Allow applicants to determine and describe how they will use funds;
- Keep application process fair and simple;
- Determine award amounts using an equation based on a percentage of the previous year's operating budget; and
- Achieve geographical balance in the distribution of grants.
The Cultural and Historical Support grant program is restricted to eligible organizations:
- Museums located in Pennsylvania with annual operating budgets exceeding $100,000 and at least one full-time professional staff person (some museums are not eligible if they are eligible for grant support from other state agencies); and
- Official county historical societies
All applications must be completed by Friday, March 14, 2014, on PHMC's eGrant application system (http://phmc.egrant.org) and hardcopy materials must be received by Friday, March 21, 2014. Eligibility information and grant guidelines can be found at: www.phmc.state.pa.us/grants.
The Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission is the official history agency of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Visit PHMC online at www.phmc.state.pa.us.
Media Contact: Howard Pollman, 717-705-8639
SOURCE Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission