Pentaho More than Triples Big Data Sales
Identifies Mobile, Cloud Apps, Fast-Growing Developer Community Among Top Trends Driving Big Data Analytics Growth
ORLANDO, Fla., Sept. 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Delivering the future of business analytics, Pentaho Corporation today announced that it has identified five top trends driving big data analytics following a record 340% increase in big data sales for Q2 over Q1 2012. After completing a detailed analysis of Q2 big data sales, it emerged that more than 70% of new Pentaho customers in the quarter are deploying on Hadoop, with the remaining new customers split evenly between NoSQL databases (MongoDB and Cassandra) and analytic databases (primarily Greenplum and Vertica).
Top big data analytics drivers include:
1. Developer community driving adoption: Big data is entering organizations because of key business drivers, while technical developer resources are the people designing, developing and deploying these applications. In recognition of these developers, Pentaho contributed key big data technologies to open source under the Apache License. The purpose was to help foster adoption of big data analytics, speed up innovation and development of these technologies, and work more closely with communities from existing open source big data technologies like Hadoop and NoSQL databases. With tighter integration between the core big data open source projects, more and more IT organizations, business analysts, data scientists and software developers turned to Pentaho – downloads for its big data technology has totaled more than 65,000 over the last few months.
2. New big data use cases: Big Data analytics is being applied across a growing spectrum of large and small organizations spanning digital media, mobile apps, gaming, healthcare, security, finance and government sectors. Compelling use cases from Q2 include customer behavior analytics, lead conversion analytics, security threat pattern analytics, social media marketing analytics, supply chain optimization and more. Read big data success stories from Pentaho customers BeachMint, Shareable Ink, TravelTainment, Travian Games and more.
3. New tools are making big data more accessible: Although initially, the complexity of big data technology was an obstacle for many companies, the growth of tools that simplify complex scripting, programming and integration jobs is making it more accessible to a wider audience of non-developers. For example, Pentaho's visual design studio creates MapReduce jobs without coding and provides a high-performance engine to execute them in-Hadoop across the cluster leading to observed customer performance gains of as much as 15x for development and 17x for job execution compared to traditional manual coding methods.
4. Device mobility and cloud apps driving demand: With more and more business applications now available as software-as-a-service and accessible on a range of mobile devices, people who work in the field, such as salespeople and health care professionals are starting to expect these platforms to host advanced analytics applications.
5. Expanding Hadoop ecosystem: More software, hardware and services are emerging on the big data scene every day. According to the recent IDC report "Worldwide Hadoop-MapReduce Ecosystem Software 2012–2016 Forecast (doc #234294, May 2012)" in 2011, the Hadoop ecosystem generated revenues of around $77 million and it projects a compound growth rate (CAGR) of 60 percent over the coming years to reach revenues of $812 million by 2016. IDC further estimates in its' Worldwide Big Data Technology and Services 2012-2015 Forecast, doc #233485, March 2012 that the total industry revenue for big data will reach nearly $17 billion by 2015, growing at a rate of about seven times faster than the overall IT market.
Quotes and Resources
"Because Pentaho combines power with flexibility, and is easy to embed, it's a natural fit with Opera Solutions Vektor™ Big Data analytics processing platform," said Armando Escalante, chief operating officer at Opera Solutions, LLC, a leading global big data predictive analytics company. "Additionally, Pentaho's capabilities enhance our ability to very rapidly develop applications that transform algorithms into 'directed actions' that can dramatically improve the quality of front-line employees' decisions and drive new levels of productivity."
"We've been doing big data analytics for years and it shows with the success of our customers, partners and communities," said Richard Daley, co-founder and chief strategy officer, Pentaho Corporation. "One of the most satisfying aspects of what we're doing is how our users are changing the way they do business by leveraging big data in ways never possible before and doing so in an affordable way."
- Pentaho Business Analytics is available directly from Pentaho or through authorized resellers and distributors.
- Visit the new Big Data Analytics Center for your one stop shop for all things Pentaho and big data.
- Read the blog from Pentaho, CEO Quentin Gallivan, "Big Data Bucks the Big Data Global Economic Trend."
- Attend the live webinar on September 13, 2012: Hadoop Analytics – Taming the Elephant with Pentaho, Cloudera and Forrester Analyst Noel Yuhanna.
About Pentaho Corporation
Pentaho is delivering the future of big data business analytics. Pentaho's open source heritage drives our continued innovation in a modern, integrated, embeddable platform built for the future of analytics, including diverse and big data requirements. Pentaho is the only vendor that provides a full big data analytics solution that supports the entire big data analytics process, from data integration through interactive data visualization, exploration and predictive analytics. Pentaho natively supports Apache Hadoop, Cloudera, MongoDB as well as high performance analytic databases like Greenplum and Vertica, among other big data sources. Learn more and download for free at pentahobigdata.com/download.
SOURCE Pentaho Corporation
More by this Source
Pentaho Named a Red Herring Global 100 Winner
Nov 27, 2013, 09:00 ET
Pentaho Community Edition 5.0 Now Available
Nov 20, 2013, 09:00 ET
Pentaho and EMA Reveal Big Data Priorities for 2014
Oct 24, 2013, 09:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.