Penton Professional Information Services Content Recognized for Editorial Excellence Across the Company's Five Core Sectors
- Aviation Week's Mike Fabey to receive 2014 Timothy White Award
- Penton content among finalists in 20 Jesse H. Neal Award categories
NEW YORK, Feb. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Penton's strategic focus on providing users with the insightful content they want – during day parts when they want it, and in digital formats they find most convenient – just earned significant recognition from industry peers.
Mike Fabey of Penton's Aviation Week will receive the 2014 Timothy White Award from ABM, the association of business information and media companies. In addition, 20 Penton brands are finalists for ABM's 60th annual Jesse H. Neal Awards for editorial excellence.
"It's a tremendous honor for so many Penton individuals and brands to be recognized for the quality of their hard work to provide insightful content focused on critical business challenges," said Joe Territo, Penton's SVP of Content and User Engagement. "These honorees across all of our sectors have been making a difference in the lives of our users every day."
The Timothy White Award recognizes exemplary leadership and displays of extraordinary courage, integrity and passion. Award recipients serve as the "conscience" of their brand – fearlessly supporting industry causes, standing up to pressures that threaten placing users first, and maintaining independent, honest and ethical journalism.
Fabey was honored for breaking through a wall of secrecy to report on potentially life-threatening system and design problems with the U.S. Navy's newest surface warship – the Littoral Combat Ship (LCS-1) USS Freedom. Fabey's series of investigative stories – detailing longstanding design, fabrication and operational failures, and ballooning expenses – was published on the Aviation Week Intelligence Network. The series resulted in fallout that prompted a Congressional investigation and eventually forced the Navy to significantly change the $40 billion program.
Fabey went to extraordinary lengths to penetrate the Navy's cloak of secrecy, flying across the country for an unsanctioned guided tour of the ship – which resulted in Navy threats to jail him, as well as attempts to stop publication of some material.
"While I'm honored to receive such an award, and proud to work for an organization that supports and encourages such journalism, the real winners are the U.S. Navy sailors and officers who will go to sea in safer ships," said Fabey. "This is the kind of reporting that makes a difference."
Fabey will be presented with the Timothy White Award March 14, at ABM's Neal Awards Gala, where these 20 Penton nominations are finalists to receive Jesse H. Neal Awards:
- Smartest Trucks Ever, Fleet Owner, Best Single Article category
- New Hope Natural Media's Market Innovation Consumer Segmentation, Newhope360.com, Best Subject-Related Package category
- Grid Connections, Transmission & Distribution World, Best Subject-Related Package category
- Sandy, Transmission & Distribution World, Best Subject-Related Package category
- Rethinking the Unthinkable, Aviation Week & Space Technology, Best Subject-Related Package category
- Commercial Contractor of the Year, Contracting Business Magazine, Best Profile category
- Armando Olivera, Transmission and Distribution World, Best Profile category
- "Adapt and Overcome," BEEF Magazine, Best Profile category
- Sanson Sez, Restaurant Hospitality, Best Commentary category
- WardsAuto World Commentary, WardsAuto World, Best Commentary category
- "Speaking to the Industry," Aviation Week & Space Technology, Best Commentary category
- "Uncontrolled Airspace," Aviation Week Intelligence Network, Best New Coverage
- "Gulfstream G650 Pilot Report," Business & Commercial Aviation, Best Technical Content category
- "Electric Trucks: Charging into the Future," Fleet Owner, Best Technical Content category
- WardsAuto.com, Best Website category
- Wealthmanagement.com, Best Website category
- "Ward's 10 Best Engines," WardsAuto.com, Best Cross-Platform Package category
- "Son of Blackbird: Scoop and a Social Media Surge," Aviation Week, Best Use of Social Media category
- "A Legacy of Scoops and Market Leadership," Aviation Week, Best Media Brand (Overall Editorial Excellence) category
- Guy Norris, Aviation Week & Space Technology, Best Range of Work by a Single Author category
"I don't think we could have picked a better group of finalists this year. Each of these brands and content producers have created cutting-edge work that inspires and informs the industry," said Mike Marchesano, ABM's Managing Director, paying tribute to the finalists. "We congratulate all of this year's Neal Award finalists, and look forward to honoring them for their outstanding work."
Penton is a professional information services company. We engage and inform millions of professionals every day, helping them decide how to grow and solve their most critical business challenges. As a leading provider of workflow solutions and insightful content, marketing services and networking via in-person and online events, we help businesses do business. We focus our industry expertise on five core growth markets - agriculture, transportation, natural products/food, infrastructure, and industrial design and manufacturing.
Learn more - penton.com
ABM is a division of SIIA, the leading association representing the software and digital content industries. ABM has a rich 107-year history of serving the B2B media industry. As a division of SIIA, ABM is positioned at the center of a rapidly changing global b-to-b ecosystem. Focused on the entire B-to-B business model – including data, events, information, marketing services and media – ABM delivers intelligence to industry professionals worldwide, including Madison Avenue, Wall Street and the Beltway. The 150-plus members of the ABM division reach an audience of more than 100 million professionals and represent nearly 4,000 print and online titles and over 1,000 trade shows, with more than $20 billion in annual revenues. For more information, visit www.ABMassociation.com.