CHICAGO, Sept. 5, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the start of the new school year, Peoples Gas reminds Chicago residents and students returning to school to put safety first when approaching any construction zone. Peoples Gas, one of many companies doing construction work this season, is upgrading Chicago's natural gas infrastructure. This project is part of the company's System Modernization Program (SMP) to make the city's natural gas infrastructure safer, more reliable and better for the environment, while also creating thousands of jobs.
To help prevent accidents, Chicago residents should be mindful of construction work the Peoples Gas construction workers and crews are doing, including street repaving and large-scale projects. As construction continues into the fall months, Peoples Gas offers the following construction zone safety tips for students to keep in mind when commuting to and from school:
- Be alert: Watch where you're going and be aware of construction equipment.
- Maintain a safe distance: Stay outside orange safety cones or fences.
- Communicate: Tell an adult if kids are playing in or near a construction zone.
- Pay attention to signs: Always obey signs posted at construction sites.
- Watch your step: Walk on the sidewalk, but stay off closed sidewalks or streets.