SAN ANTONIO, June 30, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- This weekend the Petco Foundation, a leading funder of animal welfare, and The NUTRO Company kick off their "Be A Lifesaver" campaign, promoting everyday lifesavers throughout the country and encouraging all people to be lifesavers for animals this summer.
The campaign celebrates lifesavers like Officer Kevin McMullen and the team at Baltimore Animal Rescue and Care Shelter (BARCS). Officer McMullen found Molly fighting for her life after being hit by a train. Together with the team of lifesavers at Baltimore Animal Rescue and Care Services (BARCS), they helped care for Molly as she healed.
Molly is now part of Kevin's family, and visits schools to teach children how to approach and respect animals. Everyone can be a lifesaver like Kevin and the BARCS team with five simple actions:
- Adopt: Find a new family member by adopting a pet at a local animal welfare organization.
- Foster: Fostering pets can save animal lives and can be a fun, educational family-friendly summer activity. Learn more at participating Petco stores on July 22, during the Petco Foundation's "Be A Foster" event.
- Volunteer: Local shelters always need volunteers for a variety of activities like walking dogs, socializing cats or folding laundry. Talk to local animal welfare organizations about how your skills and interests fit with the organization's needs.
- Spread the Word: Share on social media how you've acted as a lifesaver for pets with #BeALifesaver
- Donate: Donate at checkout at Petco and Unleashed by Petco stores to help the Petco Foundation reach its goal of raising $2.1 million to provide lifesaving investments to animal welfare organizations.
Be A Lifesaver events:
Be A Lifesaver Adoption Weekend: Adopt your new family member
Saturday and Sunday, July 1 and 2 at participating Petco and Unleashed by Petco store locations.
Be A Foster: Learn more about fostering and apply to be a foster family for pets
Saturday, July 22 happening at select Petco and Unleashed by Petco stores.
The NUTRO Company generously donated $75,000 to kickoff the Be A Lifesaver campaign. From July 1-23, guests in Petco and Unleashed by Petco stores are invited to Be A Lifesaver by making a donation at checkout to support animal welfare organizations throughout the country.
"Summer is a busy time for animal welfare organizations. There is often an increase in animal intake and demand for services," said Petco Foundation executive director Susanne Kogut. "Our Be a Lifesaver campaign aims to inspire individuals to take action to help save animal lives in their own communities. Through collecting donations — $2, $5, and $20 at a time at checkout in Petco stores — we hope to raise more than $2.1 million to support lifesaving animal welfare work nationwide."
To learn more about the Petco Foundation and ways to contribute to lifesaving causes, visit www.petcofoundation.org.
About the Petco Foundation
At the Petco Foundation, we believe that every animal deserves to live its best life. Since 1999, we've invested more than $185 million in lifesaving animal welfare work to make that happen. With our more than 4,000 animal welfare partners, we inspire and empower communities to make a difference by investing in adoption and medical care programs, spay and neuter services, pet cancer research, service and therapy animals, and numerous other lifesaving initiatives. Through our Think Adoption First program, we partner with Petco stores and animal welfare organizations across the country to increase pet adoptions. So far, we've helped more than 5.3 million pets find their new loving families, and we're just getting started. Visit petcofoundation.org to learn more about how you can get involved.
Lisa Lane, Lisa.Lane@petco.com
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/petco-foundation-announces-campaign-celebrating-everyday-lifesavers-for-animals-300482364.html
SOURCE Petco Foundation