Petco Hosts National Adoption Weekend May 17-18 National Adoption Weekend events taking place at Petco and Unleashed by Petco locations across the country, May 17-18, 2014, help find shelter pets new homes
SAN DIEGO, May 14, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Petco will host a National Adoption Weekend at stores nationwide May 17-18, 2014 where animal lovers can find a new furry best friend to take along on this summer's outdoor adventures with the family.
Being outside in nature for just 20 minutes a day is enough to significantly boost vitality levels, according to a study done by the Journal of Environmental Psychology. With the weather warming up, people are finally able to spend time outdoors and pets are a great motivator to get outside and in the sun. Taking pets along on outdoor adventures is a wonderful way to bond with them, but it's important to make sure their physical, mental, social and emotional needs are kept in mind while preparing for the activity. Whether it's camping in the woods or a day at the beach, here are some tips from Petco to make sure pets stay happy, healthy and safe this summer:
- There are sure to be a great deal of new and exciting things along summer adventure paths that a pet has never seen or smelled before. Always keep them on a leash and in eyesight, as one never knows what can be lurking in the bushes.
- When outdoors, pets need to be able to ignore potentially dangerous (but fascinating) objects and return to their pet parent on a moment's notice. Petco's Positive Dog Training program can help pet parents work on this much needed behavior prior to any summer adventures.
- Shield and protect their sensitive footpads with doggie booties.
- When out in the elements, remember to stop frequently for water breaks and carry a portable water bowl so pets can stay hydrated.
- Put outdoor pet beds in a shaded area to allow them time to recuperate before going off on the next adventure.
- Whether it's floating down a river, swimming in a lake, or paddling out at the beach, keep pets safe during water activities with a flotation vest. Even if a pet is a champion swimmer, currents can be unpredictable and dogs can get tired.
- Always make sure pets are on a flea & tick treatment before allowing them outside.
Adopting an animal from a local Petco is a great way for families to experience the rewarding feeling that comes with giving a shelter animal a new home. For those ready to welcome a new pet into their life, Petco and Unleashed by Petco locations nationwide will be hosting adoption events the weekend of May 17-18, 2014. To help get new pet parents off on the right paw, Blue Buffalo will be sponsoring the National Adoption Weekend and plans to give all adopting pet parents $10 off any bag of dry dog or cat food.
About Petco and the Petco Foundation
Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that focuses on nurturing powerful relationships between people and pets. We do this by providing the products, services, advice and experiences that keep pets physically fit, mentally alert, socially engaged and emotionally happy. Everything we do is guided by our vision for Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We operate more than 1,300 Petco locations across the U.S., Mexico and Puerto Rico, including more than 100 Unleashed by Petco locations, a smaller format neighborhood shop; nine Pooch Hotel destinations for pet daycare, boarding and spa services; and petco.com. The Petco Foundation, an independent nonprofit organization, has raised more than $125 million since it was created in 1999 to help promote and improve the welfare of companion animals. In conjunction with the Foundation, we work with and support thousands of local animal welfare groups across the country and, through in-store adoption events, help find homes for more than 400,000 animals every year.
CONTACT: Allie Maltese, 619-501-2756, email@example.com