Petco's National Adoption Weekend; A Purrrfect Time to Help Animals in Need
SAN DIEGO, April 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --- According to the National Council on Pet Population Study and Policy (NCPPSP), at least one-third of cats in animal shelters are acquired as strays. And of those cats currently in shelters, 70 percent are euthanized. During this month's National Adoption Weekend taking place April 13-14, 2013, Petco hopes to put the spotlight on all shelter pets, with a special emphasis on placing cats in loving homes.
Petco's National Adoption Weekend is a wonderful opportunity to learn more about pet adoption and the rescue groups within local communities. Plus, adopting pet parents can receive advice on how to care for a new pet's physical, mental, social and emotional needs.
For those interested in adopting a more independent pet, a cat can be the purrrfect companion, but it's important to know the facts. Here are some interesting tidbits on cat ownership and felines in general:
- Out of the 86.4 million owned cats in the United States, 21 percent were adopted from an animal shelter.
- Although the percentage of dog ownership is higher than cat ownership, there are more cats (64.1%) than dogs (63.8%) in the U.S.
- Only two percent of lost cats are returned to their owners.
- Nine out of ten households in the U.S. consider their cat a member of the family. 37 percent of cat owners even hang Christmas stockings for their cats!
- It is believed that Egyptians were the first to domesticate cats. The oldest pet cat was found in a 9,500-year-old grave on the island of Cyrus.
- Although a dog is considered a man's best friend, studies have shown that a cat's brain is more similar to a human than a dog's. Cats and humans have an identical region of the brain that is responsible for emotions.
- Having two kitties doesn't necessarily mean double trouble. For the 33 percent of households that already have a cat, providing a playmate can alleviate boredom and also fulfill a cat's physical and social needs since they exercise while playing with each other.
For those ready to welcome a cat, or any new pet into their home, Petco and Unleashed by Petco locations nationwide will be hosting adoption events the weekend of April 13-14, 2013. Pet adoption times and types of adoptable animals available may vary by location, so it's recommended to contact the nearest Petco for more information. To learn more about Petco's adoption events and their Think Adoption First Philosophy, please visit petco.com/adoptions.
Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that provides the products, services and advice that make it easier for our customers to be great pet parents. Everything we do is guided by our vision for Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We operate more than 1,200 stores nationwide and in Puerto Rico, including more than 50 Unleashed by Petco locations, a smaller format neighborhood shop, and www.petco.com. The Petco Foundation, an independent nonprofit organization, has raised more than $110 million since it was created in 1999 to help promote and improve the welfare of companion animals. In conjunction with the Foundation, we work with and support thousands of local animal welfare groups across the country and, through in-store adoption events, help find homes for more than 350,000 animals every year.
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.