· Technological and sociological changes have increased demand
· More than 13,000 excipients are in use
· Drug delivery important to the future of pharmaceuticals
How is the market ?
By 2022, the pharmaceutical excipient market will reach $7.7 billion in value, IQ4I Research forecasts, as the demand for new technologies increases. Despite this growth, excipients represent only .5% of the pharmaceuticals market, according to industry experts.
Excipients are the inactive ingredients in prescription and over-the-counter medications. They play a major role in these drugs, constituting 90% of a drug's components, and are dyes, flavors, lubricants, preservatives and substances to bind the pills together.
They are used for a variety of purposes such as controlling how quickly a pill dissolves in the stomach.
The most common excipients are calcium stearate, cornstarch, gelatin, glaze, lactose, magnesium stearate, shellac sucrose, silicon dioxide and talc.
Excipients can be either organic or inorganic. Inorganic excipients are the most common with metallic oxides holding a market share of 44%. Nonetheless, organic excipients are forecasted to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.3%.
There are seven types of excipients: binders, coloring agents, diluents, disintegrants, glidants, lubricants, and tablet coating and films.
The largest market share is binders, expected to grow at CAGR of 7.7% by 2022.
By region, market share varies. North America holds the largest share at 39.4%. North America, along with Europe, are forecasted to experience slower growth since they are mature markets.
Asia-Pacific is expected to grow the fastest by 2022. This growth is fueled by the use of less expensive raw materials and lower labor costs.
China, India and Brazil also are expected to see growth.
Excipients are intended to be inert but some patients may have allergic reactions to them.
At the beginning of 2016, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration had approved 13,045 excipients.
"I have shocking news for all of us: we will not die healthy. We will all die very sick. Matter of fact, majority of the people sitting in this room will live to almost 100 years," Menashe Levy told the FierceBiotech Drug Development Forum earlier this month. "We will all be on drugs for 50 years. And we will be on multiple drugs."
The average person is on 12 to 14 drugs, Levy says.
Drug delivery of drugs plays an important role in the development of new pharmaceuticals and was the main focus of the forum.
One new technology is nanoparticles which target cancer cells.
Reportlinker Review – Global Pharmaceutical Excipients Market
· In 2015, the pharmaceutical excipients market was valued at $6.31 billion globally. By 2022, the market is forecasted to reach $10.24 billion. Between 2015 and 2022, this represents a CAGR of 7.16%. (source: Stratistics MRC)
· In 2015, the largest segment of the market was fillers and diluents. This segment is expected to continue to be the largest into 2021. (source: MarketsandMarkets)
· By 2025, the market is expected to reach $14 billion in value and grow at a CAGR of around 6.4%. (source: Accuray Research)
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/pharmaceutical-excipients-to-reach-nearly-8-billion-by-2022-300334418.html