SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 11, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- PhatWare Corporation, a leading professional software and application developer, is pleased to announce that the entire source code of its award-winning, multilingual WritePad handwriting recognition engine is now available under GPL v.3 license. The WritePad Handwriting Recognition Engine (HWRE) is the first fully functional, self-contained handwriting recognition engine to be released as open source. The engine supports most operating systems and includes build scripts for Apple iOS and MAC OS, Google Android, Microsoft Windows and Windows Mobile, and various distributions of Linux.
WritePad HWRE enables application developers and OEMs to add handwriting-based text input, which is automatically converted to digital text. Throughout its long history, the WritePad handwriting engine has not only been used in most of PhatWare's end-user apps, but has also been adapted by numerous software developers and OEMs and was deployed on millions of tables, smartphones, and other mobile and touch-screen devices. WritePad HWRE is available on GitHub at https://github.com/phatware/WritePad-Handwriting-Recognition-Engine.
"For many years PhatWare Corp. has been offering state-of-the-art handwriting recognition solutions for software developers and OEMs on various development platforms." – said Stan Miasnikov, president of PhatWare Corp. – "Today, it is my pleasure to introduce a fully functional multilingual handwriting recognition engine to the open source community."
Developers who would like to use the WritePad HWRE software for commercial purposes, without making modifications and derivative works publically available under the GPL license, can request the commercial license from PhatWare Corp., which will supersede the GPL license.
Compiled libraries and sample code for the WritePad HWRE are available separately in the WritePad SDK repository at https://github.com/phatware/WritePadSDK.
WritePad HWRE Features
- Recognizes natural handwritten text in a variety of handwriting styles: cursive (script), PRINT and MIXed.
- Recognizes dictionary words from its main or user-defined dictionary, as well as non-dictionary words, such as names, numbers and mixed alphanumeric combinations.
- Provides automatic segmentation of handwritten text into words and automatically differentiates between vocabulary and non-vocabulary words, and between words and arbitrary alphanumeric strings.
- Supports 12 languages, including English (US, UK, US Medical), Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese (Brazil and Portugal), Spanish, and Swedish.
- Supports Microsoft Windows 7/8/8.1 and Microsoft Windows Phone 8.1+, Android OS 4+, iOS 8+, MAC OS 10.10+, and various distributions of Linux.
- Does not require a user to train the software and allows for most users to achieve high accuracy right "out of the box."
- Reliably recognizes handwriting and provides spell checking and word completion features.
Founded in October 1997, PhatWare Corporation is a leading provider of easy to use powerful software products and professional services for the mobile and desktop computing marketplace. PhatWare specializes in handwriting recognition, digital ink, notetaking, database, and network management software development. To learn more about PhatWare, visit www.phatware.com.
Copyright © PhatWare Corp. 2016. PhatWare Corporation. All Rights Reserved. PhatWare and WritePad are registered trademarks of PhatWare Corp. in the U.S. and/or other countries. All other trademarks cited here are the property of their respective owners.
Contact: Stan Miasnikov
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/phatware-releases-writepad-handwriting-recognition-engine-as-open-source-300342467.html
SOURCE PhatWare Corp.