Philadelphia's Equality Forum 2013 To Feature Cuba May 2nd - 5th
PHILADELPHIA, May 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Equality Forum 2013, an annual national and international LGBT civil rights summit, has over 30 programs including panels with national and international leaders. "The annual Equality Forum 2013 examines the status of LGBT rights in the U.S. and internationally," stated Malcolm Lazin, Executive Director.
Special Guests include:
- The Very Reverend Gary Hall, Dean of the Washington National Cathedral, on the National Religious Colloquy on Thursday, May 2 at The University of the Arts
- Republican Mike Fleck and Democrat Brian Sims, the first openly gay Pennsylvania legislators, on the LGBT Elected Officials Panel on Friday, May 3. This panel is a partnership with and held at the National Constitution Center.
- Chuck Wolfe, President & CEO of the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund, moderates the National Politics Panel on Friday, May 3. This panel is a partnership with and held at the National Constitution Center at The University of the Arts
- Mary Bonauto, the nation's leading marriage equality litigator, on the National Legal Panel. Saturday, May 4 at The University of the Arts
- Martin Duberman, a preeminent LGBT historian, author and activist, on the LGBT History Panel. Saturday, May 4 at The University of the Arts
- Daniel Hernandez Jr., American hero and Tucson School Board Member, along with other out elected officials in their mid-twenties on the National Youth Panel. Saturday, May 4 at The University of the Arts
- International Equality Dinner at the National Museum of American Jewish History
Congressman Barney Frank is the recipient of the 18th annual International Role Model Award. Mariela Castro, daughter of Cuban President Raul Castro, will receive the International Ally for LGBT Equality Award and Exelon Corporation is the recipient of the International Business Leadership Award. Saturday, May 4th. Ms. Castro will also be a panelist of the Cuba: Featured Nation Panel.
- SundayOUT! Cinco de Mayo Party at The Piazza
Internationally acclaimed recording artist Kerli and American Idol finalist David Hernandez head the list of top-notch entertainment. With six hours of music and dance, SundayOUT! includes a diverse international roster of performers with over 100 vendors, artisans, galleries, boutiques, and cafes at The Piazza in Northern Liberties. Sunday, May 5
- Special Theatre Performance
Mauckingbird Theatre Company remounts its critically acclaimed production of "Shakespeare's R & J." The play features four young actors in this all-male reimagining of Shakespeare's masterpiece at the Caplan Theatre. Friday, May 3 & Saturday, May 4
- 14th Annual LGBT Art Exhibit
Featuring the work of Vuth Lyno from Cambodia's contemporary art scene in his first U.S. exhibition, this exhibit at the William Way Community Center explores LGBT identity and community in Cambodia. May 2 to 5
SOURCE Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corporation