LINCOLN, Neb., Oct. 10, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Alcohol industry watchdog Alcohol Justice has organized a press conference to follow the Nebraska State Legislature Interim Hearing on addressing the alcohol-related public health and safety disaster in Whiteclay.
LR567 - An interim study to examine and review the sale of alcohol in Whiteclay and the need for additional funding for law enforcement.
Where: Room 1510, State Capitol, Lincoln, NE
When: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 1 P.M.
When: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 5:00 P.M.
Where: Nebraska State Capitol Rotunda, Lincoln, NE
- Olowan Sarah Thunder Hawk Martinez, Pine Ridge Oglala Lakota Activist
- Sonny Skyhawk, Founder and CEO, American Indians in Film and Television and Alcohol Justice Board Member
- Frank Lemere, Winnebago Tribal Member and Activist
- Bryan Brewer, former Oglala Sioux Tribal President
- Jane Kleeb, President, Bold Nebraska (Invited)
- Jorge Castillo, Advocacy Director, Alcohol Justice (Moderator)
- 25% of Pine Ridge Reservation youth suffer from Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder
- 2/3 of Pine Ridge Reservation adults suffer from alcoholism
- To stop the illegal alcohol activity at Whiteclay, Nebraska such as:
- Retailer participation in alcohol smuggling into the Pine Ridge Reservation
- Trade of alcohol for sex
- Loitering at the premises of alcohol retailers with open containers
- The inability of Nebraska Liquor Commission to stop illegal retailer activity
- Recent homicides and physical violence
- Alcohol sales to minors
- Alcohol sales to intoxicated people
Four liquor stores in the town of Whiteclay Nebraska (population 12), are selling and bootlegging 3.5 million cans of beer a year into the Pine Ridge Reservation, South Dakota, where it is illegal to possess or consume alcohol. All types of criminal activities take place at the stores yet local law enforcement and the Nebraska state government has failed to act.
To learn more about Pine Ridge:
CONTACTS: Michael Scippa: 415 548-0492
Jorge Castillo: 213 840-3336
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/pine-ridge-native-american-activists-and-supporters-weigh-in-on-nebraska-senator-patty-pansing-brooks-multi-faceted-approach-to-end-the-alcohol-related-public-health-and-safety-disaster-in-whiteclay-300341807.html
SOURCE Alcohol Justice