Pivotal Advances Hadoop Offering, Integrates In-Memory Processing and Delivers Business Data Lake Architecture for the Enterprise Pivotal HD 2.0 and Pivotal GemFire XD deliver the most advanced big data analytics platform on the market; Fortifies next-generation capabilities of data driven applications and analytics
SAN FRANCISCO, March 17, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
- Building on its architecture for Business Data Lakes, Pivotal today announced the availability of Pivotal HD 2.0, a commercially supported enterprise distribution of the Apache Hadoop stack, now rebased and hardened on Apache Hadoop 2.2.
- Pivotal also announced the general availability of Pivotal GemFire XD, an in-memory database seamlessly integrated with Pivotal HD 2.0 that brings high concurrency, real-time transactions and in-memory analytical processing to power next generation big data applications.
- Pivotal HD 2.0 expands analytic use cases with integration and support of GraphLab, MADlib, and popular languages and formats such as R, Python, Java, and Parquet to create a powerful and easy to use analytical platform for data scientists and analysts in Hadoop.
- Pivotal is hosting a webinar on March 27, 2014 that expands on today's news. Registration to Pivotal's Next Generation Business Data Lake webinar can be found at http://bit.ly/1i8on7g.
Pivotal, the software company at the intersection of big data, PaaS, and agile development, today announced the release of Pivotal™ HD 2.0 and the general availability of Pivotal GemFire™ XD. The combination of Pivotal HD 2.0, the HAWQ™ query engine, and Gemfire XD constitute the foundation for the Business Data Lake architecture, the big data application framework for enterprises, data scientists, analysts and developers that provides a more flexible, faster way to develop data savvy software than what they can do with Hadoop alone.
Breaking New Ground In Real-Time for Apps, Data and Analytics
Behind every leading enterprise there is real-time analytics that drives real-time advantages and intelligence. Available today, Pivotal GemFire XD bridges GemFire's proven in-memory intelligence and integrates it with Pivotal HD 2.0 and HAWQ. Pivotal GemFire technology enables businesses to make prescriptive decisions in real-time, such as stock trading, fraud detection, intelligence for energy companies, routing for the telecom industries, or for scaling reservations for the world's largest annual movement of humans on the planet.
Also new within Pivotal HD is the world's first enterprise integration of GraphLab, an advanced set of algorithms for graph analytics that enables data scientists and analysts to leverage popular algorithms for insight, i.e. page rank, collaborative filtering and computer vision.
Pivotal released Pivotal HD with HAWQ last year to radically increase the speed of analysis for Hadoop queries; it was designed from the ground up as a massively parallel SQL processing engine optimized specifically for analytics.
With Pivotal HD 2.0, new improvements to HAWQ include:
- MADlib Machine Learning Library – Unlock deeper predictive insights faster, better with over 50 in-database analytic algorithms;
- Language Translation – Leverage the full power of R, Python and Java to enable business logic and procedures otherwise cumbersome with SQL;
- Parquet Support – Beta support for read and write Parquet files, opening the power of HAWQ's SQL query engine on this popular open file type
Nik Rouda, Senior Analyst, ESG
"The combined release of Pivotal HD 2.0 and GemFireXD, introducing real-time SQL queries, makes it easier for developers to get live insights on streaming data sources without having to learn new tools. Not least, the range of new programming language support gives an even richer portfolio of advanced analytics capabilities. Pivotal is well-positioned to change the nature of how big data gets done in the enterprise."
Josh Klahr, Vice President, Product Management, Pivotal
"When it comes to Hadoop, other approaches in the market have left customers with a mishmash of un-integrated products and processes. Building on our industry-leading SQL-on-Hadoop offer, HAWQ, Pivotal HD 2.0 is the first platform to fully integrate proven enterprise in-memory technology, Pivotal GemFire XD, with advanced services on Hadoop 2.2 that provide native support for a comprehensive data science toolset. Data driven businesses now have the capabilities they need to gain a massive head start toward developing analytics and applications for more intelligent and innovative products and services."
- Read the Pivotal Blog on How Enterprises Can Get More Out of Hadoop With a Data Lake http://ow.ly/uBnMf
- Case Study: Scaling Reservations for the World's Largest Train System, China Railways Corporation
- Pivotal Big Data Product Page: http://bit.ly/1i8p54o
Pivotal, committed to open source and open standards, recently introduced Pivotal One, the world's first comprehensive multi-cloud Enterprise PaaS. The company is also a leading provider of application and data infrastructure software, agile development services, and data science consulting. Follow Pivotal on Twitter @gopivotal, LinkedIn, and G+.
©2014 Pivotal Software, Inc. All rights reserved. Pivotal, GemFire and HAWQ are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Pivotal Software, Inc. in the United States and/or other Countries. This release contains "forward-looking statements" as defined under the Federal Securities Laws. Actual results could differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements as a result of certain risk factors, including but not limited to: (i) adverse changes in general economic or market conditions; (ii) delays or reductions in information technology spending; (iii) the relative and varying rates of product price and component cost declines and the volume and mixture of product and services revenues; (iv) competitive factors, including but not limited to pricing pressures and new product introductions; (v) component and product quality and availability; (vi) fluctuations in VMware, Inc.'s operating results and risks associated with trading of VMware stock; (vii) the transition to new products, the uncertainty of customer acceptance of new product offerings and rapid technological and market change; (viii) risks associated with managing the growth of our business, including risks associated with acquisitions and investments and the challenges and costs of integration, restructuring and achieving anticipated synergies; (ix) the ability to attract and retain highly qualified employees; (x) insufficient, excess or obsolete inventory; (xi) fluctuating currency exchange rates; (xii) threats and other disruptions to our secure data centers or networks; (xiii) our ability to protect our proprietary technology; (xiv) war or acts of terrorism; and (xv) other one-time events and other important factors disclosed previously and from time to time in the filings EMC Corporation, the parent company of Pivotal, with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. EMC and Pivotal disclaim any obligation to update any such forward-looking statements after the date of this release.