MILWAUKEE, Jan. 12, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- PKWARE, the leading provider of smart encryption software, announced it anticipates five significant, new information security breaches through 2016:
- ISIS Will Breach a Major Corporation: We believe that ISIS will dramatically increase their cyber capabilities to target corporate America and other vulnerable Western entities and organizations.
- A U.S. Presidential Campaign will be hacked: Political campaigns have mountains of unsecured data that is ripe for hacking. As a result, we believe a U.S. Presidential Campaign will experience a major cyber-attack before the general election in November.
- The U.S. Electric Grid will be attacked: Attacks on the electric grid would have devastating consequences, harming businesses and consumers alike.
- U.S. Law Enforcement will be breached: From body cameras to police databases, cyberattacks against law enforcement could become widespread in 2016.
- Healthcare Devices will be compromised: With the rise of connected devices in the healthcare industry, it is inevitable that we will see a rise in cyber-attacks against the medical community.
"With over 30,000 businesses and 200 government entities as our customers, we have a unique view into future staging grounds for attacks," says V. Miller Newton, PKWARE CEO and President. "Based on what we're seeing right now, 2016 will see significant and dynamic cyberattacks on American interests. The new generation of attacks aspire to cause widespread disruption and fear, across entire industries, populations and geographies, by exploiting significant gaps in data protection."
Since the company began making breach predictions in January of 2011, PKWARE has been over 95% accurate in forecasting cyber-attacks on American interests, including:
- A Professional Sports Franchise – Breach realized: June 16, St. Louis Cardinals hack the rival Houston Astros.
- Transportation Infrastructure – Breach realized: June 22, LOT Polish Airways ground systems were accessed externally.
- American Healthcare Systems are At Risk – Breach realized: Feb. 5, Anthem reports millions of exposed records.
- Smart Watch/Wearable Data Will Be Hacked: Breach realized: Oct 22, Fitbit was hacked by a researcher standing less than 10 feet away from the device.
"We release our breach predictions twice each year, and we do this as a public service," said Newton. "We're trying to call attention to the fact that these attacks are causing significant damage to our nation – and that they're largely preventable. If we're going to win today's emerging cyberwar, our government, businesses and citizenry must get serious about protecting our data."
PKWARE's Smart Encryption armors data at its core, eliminating vulnerabilities everywhere data is used, shared or stored. Smart Encryption is easily embedded and managed without changing the way people work. Integrated across all enterprise systems, platforms and languages, Smart Encryption fortifies information security inside and outside the organization. For nearly three decades, PKWARE has provided encryption and compression software to more than 30,000 enterprise customers, including 200 government entities. PKWARE invented .ZIP, the world's most widely used file-based open standard.