ATLANTA, Aug. 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The opening of PNC Bank's first-ever portable "pop-up branch" brings banking to consumers with a temporary site designed to generate new business via the bank's newest concept branch, while raising brand awareness in a new Southeast market.
The unique, steel-constructed, 20 x 8 foot branch will be open seven days a week from July 30 through mid-November at Atlantic Station, the popular mixed-use center built on the former brownfield site of the Atlantic Steel Mill. Instead of tellers, the branch will be staffed by financial services consultants who will help with new accounts and personal loans along with referrals for a PNC mortgage, investments, merchant services or other products.
The consultants also will use iPads to demonstrate innovative online and mobile services, e.g., PNC Virtual Wallet and Cash Flow Insight for small businesses. For routine transactions, a "smart" ATM will be available 24 hours for customers to easily withdraw cash, including $1 bills, cash checks or deposit checks or cash into their accounts.
"Branch convenience to home remains the No. 1 reason that consumers choose their primary bank, but they are using branches very differently today," said Todd Barnhart, executive vice president of branch banking, PNC Bank. "This pop-up branch is a creative way to bring banking to customers and help them experience the innovative solutions we offer."
Given the location, and the ability to track customer usage, the three-month trial can help determine the need for a more permanent banking location or other banking services near Atlantic Station, along with future use of the pop-up branch, he added.
As PNC redefines its retail banking business, the bank also is exploring other innovative branch concepts in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.
"We're excited about the future as branches serve more as retail outlets for financial advice and solutions," Barnhart said. "When it comes to major financial decisions, most customers want a face-to-face conversation, so our emphasis is more on in-depth conversations vs. routine transactions, which can usually be done via our ATMs, online or mobile options."
Details of two other test locations that opened in early July include:
- Solution Center in Malvern, Pa. (Suburban Philadelphia)
- Open floor plan with PNC specialists to promote conversations instead of tellers behind counters
- Video conferencing capabilities for more complex banking advice
- Five "smart" ATMs to make deposits, cash checks
- "Discovery Table" with touch-screen computers and iPads for demonstrations of mobile deposit, Virtual Wallet and other PNC online services
- Mini E-Branch (Electronic) in Pittsburgh
- At 2,100 square feet (a little more than half the size of a traditional branch) branch located in a growing, tech-friendly development, which includes one of Google's 20 U.S. offices
- Staffed by two bank specialists with iPads for demos
- Two "smart" ATMs and a Discovery Bar for product information
An online media kit containing b-roll and images is available on PNC's website at http://pnc.mediaroom.com/popupbranch_atlanta and http://pnc.mediaroom.com/pnc_solutioncenter_miniebranch.
PNC Bank, National Association, is a member of The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc. (NYSE: PNC). PNC (www.pnc.com) is one of the nation's largest diversified financial services organizations providing retail and business banking; residential mortgage banking; specialized services for corporations and government entities, including corporate banking, real estate finance and asset-based lending; wealth management and asset management. Follow @PNCNews on Twitter for breaking news and announcements from PNC.
SOURCE PNC Bank