PITTSBURGH, Feb. 3, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc. (NYSE: PNC) today announced community-wide events as part of its Black History Month celebration. Throughout February, PNC will sponsor 21 events in multiple cities, ranging from art exhibits to local performances and employee-focused activities.
Highlights include a town hall meeting in
PNC-sponsored programs, public events, and employee activities will be held across many of the communities it serves, including Baltimore, Charlotte, N.C.; Chicago; Cleveland; Detroit; Durham, N.C.; Harrisburg, Pa.; Louisville, Ky.; Kalamazoo, Mich.; Newark, NJ; Philadelphia; Pittsburgh; Raleigh, NC and Washington, D.C.
"Whether it's a town hall meeting that brings a community together, or an art exhibit highlighting the tremendous contributions of American artists, these celebrations reflect PNC's commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion in our workforce and the communities we serve," said Marsha Jones, chief diversity officer, PNC.
Highlights of upcoming PNC events include:
- A series of programs recognizing the African Diaspora, and dedicated to the memory of the late Nelson Mandela at the Newark Public Library through March 6. The PNC sponsored celebrations include African music and dance, panel discussions, films and a children's program.
- Contemporary artist Hank Willis Thomas leads a series of lectures, exhibits, presentations and a Blueprint roundtable discussion about leadership, mentorship, and critical social issues in the black community at the Cleveland Museum of Art Feb. 1- Feb. 3, and the PNC Fairfax Connection Center, Feb. 5.
- Award-winning author Anna Lisa Cox discusses A Stronger Kinship and her new book project, Founding Freedom: African Americans on the Antebellum Frontier at the PNC Kalamazoo Operations Center, Feb. 17. Spoken Word poet Tasleem Jamila also performs poetry from her new book, BLACK BAPTIST MUS-LIM MYSTIC: From the Cosmos.
- Soledad O' Brien's "Black in America Town Hall" event focuses on uncovering and sharing empowering stories of race, class, wealth, poverty and opportunity at the Knight Theater at The Levine Center for the Arts in Charlotte, 7 p.m. on Feb. 18.
- African American Historian and VP of D.C. Government Relations at The George Washington University Dr. Bernard Demczuk joins Shellee M. Hanesworth, producer, Black Broadway on U, at "America's Black Broadway: Before there was Harlem, There was D.C.", 8 a.m. at Howard Theater on Feb. 19.
- PNC will host Carnegie Mellon University professor Dr. Edda Fields-Black's discussion of her first book, "Deep Roots," Feb. 17 at the PNC Consumer Loan Center in Pittsburgh. PNC also sponsors A Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Town Hall on the African American Experience in Sports at the Fairmont Hotel at 8:30 a.m. on Feb. 20.
- "Civil Rights in America", a Black History Month program with "Jump Street" creator and syndicated columnist Robb Armstrong will be held at Forum Auditorium, 500 Walnut St., Harrisburg, Pa., 11:30 a.m. on Feb. 27.
- WVON-FM radio personalities in partnership with PNC will host a weekly film screening and discussion of "12 Years A Slave" (Feb. 5), "In Search of A Black Knight" (Feb. 12), "The Trials of Muhammad Ali" (Feb. 19), and "Winnie Mandela" (Feb. 26). The films begin at 7 p.m. at 1011 South Delano Court East, Chicago.
PNC also sponsored events in several other cities surrounding Martin Luther King Jr. Day, including a new exhibition at the PNC Legacy Project in Pittsburgh. The exhibit features the oral histories of 12 African Americans in the region, including musicians Sean Jones and Patricia Prattis Jennings, community leaders Alma Speed Fox and Esther L. Bush, and Tony Award-winning actor Billy Porter. Other honorees include Tuskegee Airman Wendell Freeland, educator Helen Faison, New Pittsburgh Courier editor and publisher Rod Doss, artist Thaddeus Mosley, former chief executive officer of the YMCA of Pittsburgh Julius Jones, and Olympic gold medalist and three-time WNBA champion Swin Cash.
The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc. (www.pnc.com) is one of the United States' largest diversified financial services organizations providing retail and business banking; residential mortgage banking; specialized services for corporations and government entities, including corporate banking, real estate finance and asset-based lending; wealth management and asset management.
CONTACT: Asia Rambo (404) 495-6386 firstname.lastname@example.org
SOURCE The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc.