PNC Offers Five Tips To Transfer Military Experiences To Civilian Career
- Making the Skills Connection Improves Job Prospects -
PITTSBURGH, May 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- PNC today announced a series of tips to assist veterans transitioning from military service to the civilian workforce. The tips are part of a continuing PNC initiative to enhance the employment prospects of job seekers who are former military.
"Employers may not immediately make the connection between how skills learned in the military may translate to civilian positions," said Sharon Brunecz, PNC director of Talent Acquisition and Development. "Making that connection for prospective employers is a key to getting hired."
Five tips for former military personnel seeking civilian employment:
- Start looking for a civilian job before completing military service. An early start will allow time to explore more career options. Veterans should think about what they want to do in the civilian workforce and what's required to achieve it.
- Tailor the resume for the job being sought. Briefly explain how one's military work experience would benefit a civilian organization.
- Use the resume to convey skills and experience. In addition to describing the skills associated with military work experience, veterans should also address the soft skills they have learned that can add value to their experience (teamwork, leadership, responsibility, drive, ambition). These are skills sought by all employers.
- For greater clarity, translate or delete military specific acronyms and jargon from a resume. Ensure it can be understood by the interviewer.
- Both military experience and education are important in securing a position. If looking to do something never done before, take classes relevant to the job being pursued.
Having long recognized the values it shares with military and former military personnel, PNC has deepened its commitment to hiring veterans in many areas. "The leadership skills and confidence military men and women develop during their time in uniform make them ideal candidates for employment with PNC," said Matt Bruhn, PNC Bank Operations executive and former U.S. Air Force officer. "We work with many external organizations who advocate for the hiring of military veterans and share the same goals we have to place them in qualified positions."
PNC sustains its military hiring efforts by engaging individuals from Human Resources, Talent Acquisition and other departments as well as the expertise of several veterans who it now employs. These strategies complement existing initiatives, such as the employee business resource group (EBRG) for employees who are former military or support the military, to encourage professional development, mentorship and networking opportunities.
A separate program has existed to increase the diversity of its supply chain among businesses owned, managed or staffed by veterans.
PNC has been recognized for its efforts as a 2013 GI Jobs Friendly Employer by GI Jobs and was named one of the Top 100 Veteran-Friendly Companies for 2012 by U.S. Veterans Magazine.
PNC Bank, National Association, is a member of The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc. (NYSE: PNC). PNC (www.pnc.com) is one of the nation's largest diversified financial services organizations providing retail and business banking; residential mortgage banking; specialized services for corporations and government entities, including corporate banking, real estate finance and asset-based lending; wealth management and asset management. Follow @PNCNews on Twitter for breaking news, updates and announcements from PNC.
SOURCE PNC Bank
More by this Source
PNC Bank Provides New Year's Resolution Tips For Millennials
Nov 13, 2013, 08:00 ET
Sheetz Announces PNC Bank to Provide Surcharge-Free ATMs
Nov 13, 2013, 07:00 ET
PNC Bank Introduces New Microsoft Windows 8 App
Oct 09, 2013, 12:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.