POWER Magazine Announces Coal-Fired Top Plant Award Winners
HOUSTON, Oct. 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Each year, POWER magazine selects the most noteworthy coal-fired power plants worldwide to be designated Top Plants. Winning plants are profiled in the October issue, and awards are presented at a banquet the following May at the ELECTRIC POWER Conference & Exhibition. This year's award-winning coal-fired Top Plants are:
- C.P. Crane Generating Station, Middle River, Maryland. When operators of this 400-MW plant converted it to burning 100% low-sulfur Powder River Basin coal to meet state regulations, they knew it wouldn't be fully successful unless they also converted the plant's operating culture.
- Merrimack Station's Clean Air Project, Bow, New Hampshire. By implementing a Clean Air Project to meet state regulations (and future federal ones), this 440-MW plant became one of the cleanest coal plants in the country. It may also provide a model for future wastewater treatment systems.
- Northside Generating Station, Jacksonville, Florida. This circulating fluidized bed boiler plant is an award-winner for a series of modifications made over nearly a decade to resolve operating challenges created by a design problem. Its operating stats now place it in the top tier of U.S. fossil plants.
- Tanjung Jati B Electric Generating Station's Expansion Project, Central Java Province, Republic of Indonesia. A multinational project team built this 1,300-MW generator of power and economic growth and equipped it with some of the first examples of modernized air quality control technology on a major Asian power plant.
- Virginia City Hybrid Energy Center, Virginia City , Virginia. By using a fuel-flexible circulating fluidized boiler, this new plant is helping Dominion meet its commitment to the state renewable portfolio standard while including regionally sourced coal waste in its fuel mix. It also recycles plant wastewater and waste heat.
- Yeongheung Power Station Unit 3, Yeongheung Island, South Korea. A number of site-specific circumstances required careful design modifications and advanced monitoring and controls for this new supercritical unit near Seoul.
For more details about these projects, see the October issue of POWER at www.powermag.com.
For 130 years POWER magazine has been considered the definitive information source for the power generation market. Through the print magazine and website (www.powermag.com) as well as the weekly POWERnews enewsletter and segment-specific enewsletters, industry professionals learn about best practices, safety issues, improved productivity, and the latest business, legal, and regulatory news.
SOURCE POWER Magazine
More by this Source
POWER Magazine Announces Renewable Top Plant Award Winners
Dec 03, 2012, 10:05 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.