SEATTLE, Aug. 7, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Peter Adler, President of Molina Healthcare of Washington, was recently appointed to the state advisory board of WGU Washington. The 13-member board helps guide the growth and development of Washington's only legislatively-endorsed, online university. Adler has been a leader in the healthcare industry for more than three decades and brings a track record of service to our state's higher education community.
"I worked with Peter when he was president of the Bellevue College Foundation Board of Directors," said WGU Washington Chancellor Jean Floten. "I saw first-hand his skill in creating a compelling vision, building common ground, and leading the board through a major gift campaign. I greatly admire his leadership abilities and look forward to working with him again."
Adler was named president of Molina Healthcare of Washington earlier this year. A managed care organization, Molina is the state's largest Medicaid plan with over 400,000 members and is ranked the top Medicaid plan in the state by the National Committee for Quality Assurance. It also recently began serving low income Medicare recipients and participating in the Washington Health Benefit Exchange. Molina operates primary care clinics and arranges services for low income individuals and families who are eligible for government-sponsored programs in eleven states, including Washington, Molina's largest health plan.
Prior to joining Molina, Adler served as Chief Strategy Officer at PeaceHealth, where he played an instrumental role in the organization's growth and affiliation strategy in the Northwest.
WGU Washington's Advisory Board was established in 2011 to provide counsel to Chancellor Floten on Washington state-specific needs and trends and to help shape the direction and continued success of the university. In addition to Adler, the board consists of:
- Don Brunell, Vice President of Gordon Thomas Honeywell Law and President Emeritus, Association of Washington Business
- Phyllis Campbell, Chairman, Pacific Northwest, JPMorgan Chase & Co.
- Dr. Rich Cummins, President and CEO, Columbia Basin College
- Al Davis, Principal, Revitalization Partners, LLC
- Dr. Carver Clark Gayton, Consultant in education and workforce development
- Phyllis Gutiérrez Kenney, Vice President of Leadership and Economic Development for Sea Mar Community Health Centers
- Dr. Gary Livingston, Chancellor Emeritus, Community Colleges of Spokane
- Major General (Ret.) Timothy J. Lowenberg, Vice President of Gordon Thomas Honeywell Law
- Steve Mullin, President, Washington Roundtable
- Dr. Kathleen Ross, President Emeritus, Heritage University
- Dr. Samuel H. Smith, President Emeritus, Washington State University
- John D. White, Vice President, BergerABAM
About WGU Washington
WGU Washington was established by the State Legislature in 2011 in partnership with nationally recognized and accredited Western Governors University to expand access to higher education for Washington residents.
The state-endorsed, online university offers more than 50 bachelor's and master's degree programs in Business, Information Technology, Teacher Education and Health Professions, including Nursing. WGU Washington's competency-based learning model is designed to meet the needs of working adults by providing an affordable, flexible option for earning an accredited, respected college degree. It's non-profit and receives no money from the state.
Degrees are granted under the accreditation of Western Governors University, which is regionally accredited through the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU). Teachers College programs are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and Nursing programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE*).
The university has earned the support of more than 20 leading corporations and foundations. They include institutions such as AT&T, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Lilly Endowment, Hewlett-Packard, Lumina Foundation, Microsoft, Oracle and SunGard Higher Education.
* One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 5380, Washington DC 20036, 202-877-6791
SOURCE WGU Washington