ANN ARBOR, Mich., Aug. 25, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Uncovering the latest insights into the online shopper's expectations during the holiday shopping season, a new survey by eBay Enterprise and CFI Group reveals that consumers desire multiple ordering and more shipping options; while proving that product availability and late deliveries have the biggest impact on retailers' bottom line.
The "Holiday Outlook Report 2015: What Matters Most During Peak Shopping Season" released today shows that of the 500 online shoppers surveyed, 79 percent reported that rather than waiting, they are likely to switch brands when the items they are shopping for are out of stock.
"The critical nature of product availability is emphasized when realizing that not only will a retailer lose a sale on the out of stock item, but often times on other products in an overall purchase," said CFI Group CEO Sheri Petras. "It's true that consumers have a strong desire for multiple ordering and shipping options, but first the product must be readily available."
The report further emphasizes the importance of product availability and omnichannel alignment: Of the online shoppers that report utilizing in-store pickup, 62 percent do so in order to save shipping cost while 17 percent do so to get products immediately. This combined 79 percent underscores the importance of having more products available both in-store and online.
Honoring promised delivery dates is mission-critical for retailers, according to the study. Not only can late deliveries cause 56 percent of consumers to not shop with that retailer in the future, but another 56 percent say their primary reason for contacting customer service during the holidays is related to shipping or delivery. More than a quarter of consumers will contact customer service the day after a delivery date has been missed and 48 percent will do so if two days pass, causing a strain on a retailer's resources to track shipments and communicate the status of orders to customers.
For a more in-depth look at shoppers' expectations of the holiday shopping season, visit www.cfigroup.com.
About CFI Group:
Founded in 1988, CFI Group delivers customer experience measurement and business driver analysis from headquarters in Ann Arbor, Michigan and a network of offices worldwide. As founding partner of the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI), CFI Group is the only company licensed to apply ACSI methodology in both the private and public sectors within the United States. Using patented technology and top research experts, CFI Group helps companies maximize return-on-investment by analyzing every aspect of the customer experience, identifying key business drivers, benchmarking performance, interpreting results, and recommending key areas for business improvement.
About eBay Enterprise:
eBay Enterprise is a leading global provider of retail-optimized commerce solutions, including the Magento platform, order management, fulfillment, customer service, and marketing solutions. We enable brands and retailers of all sizes to deliver consistent omnichannel experiences across all retail touch points to attract and engage new customers, convert browsers into loyal buyers, and deliver products with speed and quality. With unrivaled flexibility and control, our clients are armed to accelerate sales growth and win with today's digitally connected consumer. eBay Enterprise is headquartered in King of Prussia, Pa. and has offices in Austin, Barcelona, London, Los Angeles, New York, and Shanghai. eBay Enterprise is an eBay Inc. company. More information can be found at www.ebayenterprise.com
Rezler Communications for CFI Group
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/product-availability-and-on-time-deliveries-matter-most-to-consumers-during-peak-holiday-shopping-season-300132356.html
SOURCE CFI Group