Professional Local Government Managers Highlighted in New Video
Professional managers bring value to their Illinois communities
WASHINGTON, Dec. 4, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Having a professional local government manager contributes to the quality of life in Illinois communities - Lake County and the villages of Glenview and Woodridge - according to a new video produced by ICMA, the International City/County Management Association (www.ICMA.org).
In "Why Should You Care? Professional Local Government Managers and Your Community," elected and civic leaders describe how professional managers help make their local governments efficient, responsive, transparent, and well-run. Interviewees (in order of appearance) include:
- Bill Murphy , Mayor, Village of Woodridge
- Mark Zabloudil , Vice President of Operations, Edward Don and Company
- State Representative Jim Durkin , 82nd District
- Katy Rush , Village Administrator, Village of Woodridge
- Chuck Lamphere , President and CEO, Van Vlissingen and Co.
- Mike Krucek . former chair, Woodridge Area Chamber of Commerce
- Kerry Cummings , President, Village of Glenview
- Marvin Bembry , pharmaceuticals industry
- Michael Knight , Winchester House Advisory Board
- Paul Detlefs , Trustee, Village of Glenview
- Mike Adams , Executive Director, Woodridge Park District
- Bob Patton , President, Glenview Park District
They make the points that professional managers:
- Work closely with elected officials to translate their vision for the community into reality. The manager is like the CEO of a company: elected officials set the goals and vision for the community and the manager makes it happen.
- Have the professional training and experience to manage staff and budgets, work with boards and councils, and help elected officials assess options so they make the best decisions for their communities.
- Provide stability and continuity even through political changes.
- Put the best interests of the community first and bring all interested groups into decision making.
- Always look for new, innovative, and better ways to do things.
The video is a component of Life, Well Run (www.LifeWellRun.org), ICMA's campaign to raise awareness of the contributions professional local government managers make to cities, towns, and counties across the United States, building communities we're proud to call home.
Woodridge, Glenview, and Lake County, IL, are three of five pilot communities across the country to be showcased by ICMA in the Life, Well Run campaign.
ICMA, the International City/County Management Association, advances professional local government worldwide. The organization's mission is to create excellence in local governance by developing and fostering professional management to build sustainable communities that improve people's lives. ICMA provides member support; publications; data and information; peer and results-oriented assistance; and training and professional development to 9,000 city, town, and county managers and other individuals and organizations throughout the world. The management decisions made by ICMA's members affect millions of individuals living in thousands of communities, from small villages and towns to large metropolitan areas.
More by this Source
Businesses And Professional Government Managers: A Partnership That Works
Jan 31, 2013, 10:30 ET
San Antonio: A Partnership For Success
Jan 16, 2013, 16:28 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.