Proof Points: Quality Early Education and Crime Prevention
Statement from FIGHT CRIME: INVEST IN KIDS
WASHINGTON, Feb. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Today, child advocates are cheering the President's support for quality early education to improve the lives of at-risk children. But the truly big news -- to everyone who cares about the safety of American communities -- is that quality early education is a proven tool for fighting crime.
- Research shows that getting at-risk kids into high-quality early education programs can help cut violent crime, reduce prison costs and save taxpayer dollars.
- A long-term study of Chicago's Child-Parent Centers found that at-risk kids who did not participate in this high-quality early education program were 70 percent more likely to be arrested for a violent crime by age 18. In addition, by age 26, individuals who did not participate in the program were 27 percent more likely to have been arrested for a felony and 39 percent more likely to have spent time in jail or prison.
- The Chicago Child-Parent Centers program cut crime, welfare and other costs so much that it returned to society more than $11 for every $1 invested, with $5 of these benefits due to reduced crime costs. This is a return on investment that we cannot afford to overlook with today's tight budgets.
- There's no substitute for tough law enforcement, but we must do more to establish and improve programs that prevent at-risk kids from ever becoming criminals. Either we pay on the front end by providing them a solid chance to succeed, or we pay a lot more for their failure.
- Providing more at-risk kids with quality early learning opportunities will help us prevent crime and reduce burdensome prison costs for years to come.
FIGHT CRIME: INVEST IN KIDS is a national anti-crime organization of police chiefs, sheriffs, prosecutors, other law enforcement leaders and violence survivors with over 5,000 members nationwide.
SOURCE Fight Crime: Invest in Kids
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.