LONDON, Jan. 6, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Summary
Prostate Cancer (PC) is a disease predominately of the elderly with 60% of cases diagnosed in men aged 65 or over. Prostate cancer is slow growing, and asymptomatic at its earliest stages. However, with the use of digital rectal examination, the PSA test, and the incidental discovery of tumors following resection of the prostate, the majority of PC cases are diagnosed at an early stage (60%). As PC is slow growing, many patients can leave their disease untreated for extended periods of time with frequent monitoring (watchful waiting or active surveillance), with many patients dying from other causes before treatment is indicated. Surgery and/or radiotherapy is often curative when treatment is indicated for localized disease, with androgen deprivation being the standard of first-line care. However, most patients ultimately develop resistant disease, for whom treatment options have historically been limited, with treatment with docetaxel being standard. The recent approval of Zytiga and Xtandi for docetaxel refractory disease in 2011 and 2012 have improved survival of resistant patients, but there is a clear clinical need to diversify the treatment options for this patient cohort.
The current late-stage drugs in development for PC address this clinical need, however, results so far have been mixed, with none demonstrating clinically transformative efficacy of safety. As a result, the growth in PC prevalence as a result of a global aging population is expected to be the key driver of this market throughout the forecast period. Prostate Cancer Market Research
Global revenues for the PC market are forecast to rise at a moderate CAGR of 9.5% from $7.6bn in 2014 to $13.6bn in 2021.
- What factors are driving the market growth?
- How can the factors limiting growth be overcome in the future?
The pipeline addresses clinical need in the market; seven of the nine late-stage pipeline products are being developed as therapies for metastatic castration resistant disease.
- What other gaps in the market are being addressed by the current pipeline dynamics?
The variation in molecule type has shifted away from small molecules (predominately hormonal therapies), the dominance of which has decreased from 91% across marketed products to 50% across the pipeline.
- What are the dynamics of the remaining 50% of the pipeline?
- How does this reflect the need for novel targeted therapies?
There has been a significant shift away from hormonal therapies. Key mechanisms of action across the pipeline include cancer immunotherapies against PSMA, whole cell vaccines and targeted therapies against the PI3K/Akt/mTOR pathway.
- What is the scientific rationale behind these targets?
- How successful have drugs against these targets been? How successful are they expected to be in the future?
Several drugs are expected to be approved during the forecast period: ProstAtak, ODM201, ARN-509, and Tookad. However, their sales are expected to be limited by high costs and a lack of comparative trials.
- Where will these novel therapies fit into the current treatment algorithm for PC?
Reasons to buy
This report will allow you to -
- Understand the current clinical and commercial landscape by considering disease pathogenesis, diagnosis, prognosis, and the treatment options available at each stage of diagnosis.
- Visualize the composition of the PC market in terms of dominant molecule types and targets, highlighting the current unmet needs and how they can be addressed to allow a competitive understanding of gaps in the current market.
- Analyze the PC pipeline and stratify by stage of development, molecule type, and molecular target.
- Visualize the clinical safety and efficacy of late-stage pipeline drugs via a detailed heat map, outlining the results across major clinical trial endpoints.
- Understand the growth in patient epidemiology, annual therapy costs, and market revenues for the AML market globally and across the US, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Japan, and Canada.
- Identify commercial opportunities in the PC deals landscape by analyzing trends in licensing and co-development deals.
Download the full report: https://www.reportbuyer.com/product/3510572/
Reportbuyer is a leading industry intelligence solution that provides all market research reports from top publishers
For more information:
Research Advisor at Reportbuyer.com
Tel: +44 208 816 85 48