NEW YORK, June 8, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- From the moment we are born, we're exposed to the sun's harmful rays. In fact, 90 percent of the signs of skin aging are due to cumulative sun damage(1) which can cause wrinkles, dark spots and sagging of the skin. Even more alarming is the fact that 70 percent of adults do not apply sunscreen regularly and more than one-third of the U.S. population reported experiencing sunburn in the previous year.(2) Moreover, sunscreen alone does not protect skin from the formation of UV-induced free radicals that can attack cells and lead to more serious skin conditions.
In response to these startling statistics, Vichy Laboratoires introduces Capital Soleil, a new full range of oil-free, allergy-tested sun care products that feature an advanced UV filtering system to provide broad-spectrum protection against UVB (mainly responsible for burning) and UVA (mainly responsible for aging) rays and employs a potent antioxidant combination of White Grape Polyphenols and Vitamin E to help provide cellular protection(3) and neutralize almost all types of skin-aging free radicals.(4) Non-greasy, water-resistant, tested on sensitive skin and family-friendly, Capital Soleil melds beauty and science for sunscreens that are as pleasurable and flattering to use as they are effective.
Dr. Ranella Hirsch, noted Boston dermatologist, provides expert advice and explains how to properly protect skin from the sun's harmful UV rays.
Q: When should you use sunscreen?
Dr. Hirsch: The American Academy of Dermatology recommends that a broad-spectrum water-resistant sunscreen of at least SPF 30 be used year-round.
Q: What is the difference between UVB and UVA rays?
Dr. Hirsch: UVA and UVB are different types of ultraviolet radiation emitted by the sun. UVB is primarily responsible for sunburn. UVA light penetrates the skin more deeply than UVB does and causes tanning. Both are contributory to premature skin aging and skin cancer, so it's critical to seek out broad-spectrum protection.
Q: What role do antioxidants play in sun protection?
Dr. Hirsch: While sunscreens provide the primary protective barrier to cutaneous damage, the judicious use of topical antioxidants can add an additional buffer.
Q: How much sunscreen needs to be applied to the face and body and how often should you reapply?
Dr. Hirsch: One ounce, or the amount needed to fill a shot glass, is considered to be an ample amount to protect exposed skin. Sunscreen should be reapplied every two hours and more frequently if you are sweating or swimming.
This summer, protect skin with Vichy Capital Soleil sunscreen, which includes the following three products that are available at CVS/Pharmacy, Duane Reade, Walgreens and online at www.vichyusa.com.
- Capital Soleil SPF 50 Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid ($24.50, 1.7 fl. oz.): This daily face protection fluid employs state-of-the-art technology for an incredibly transparent and non-greasy finish that is ideal for everyday use and under makeup. Just shake the bottle before applying to create the perfect emulsion that provides a virtually sheer consistency while delivering a potent antioxidant complex that helps to protect delicate facial skin from sun damage and skin-aging free radicals.
- Capital Soleil Soft Sheer Sunscreen Lotion SPF 60 ($29.50, 5.0 fl. oz.) and SPF 30 ($27.50, 5.0 fl. oz.) provide effective multi-layer protection from UV rays and skin-aging free radical damage. These fragrance-free, water-resistant formulas were developed for sensitive skin, and Capital Soleil SPF 60 is pediatrician-tested.
(1) The Skin Cancer Foundation, 2011
(2) The Centers for Disease Control, 2011
(3) Within surface layers of the skin
(4) In laboratory studies
In 2011, Vichy celebrates its birthday: 80 years of expertise and innovation in skincare! Created by Dr. Haller in 1931, from the heart of France, Vichy is among the first French doctor's brands trusted by millions of women in Europe and around the world. All Vichy products are powered by remarkably active antioxidant water from Vichy spring, 100 percent pure and naturally rich in 15 minerals. Its regenerating, soothing and fortifying properties have been scientifically proven. This water is then combined with cutting-edge dermatological ingredients such as Vichy's new generation of Retinol, LHA or time-released Vitamin C in highly effective formulations. Vichy's pleasurable and sensorial textures are skin-friendly, allergy-tested, paraben-free and all deliver clinically proven results for healthy, beautiful skin.