SEATTLE, Oct. 14, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Over the next week, over 3.5 million high school students will be taking the Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test, one of the most important tests for college admissions. The results from the PSAT, which also functions as the National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test, are used to qualify students for academic recognition and approximately $30 million in scholarship money from the National Merit Scholarship Program.
Test Innovators, a leading test prep platform, recently launched free practice tests and materials for the PSAT. The practice tests were created by expert test writers, who have prepared students for the PSAT for many years. Below are some of their best tips and strategies for success on the PSAT/NMSQT:
- A full-length practice test is the best way to prepare. The PSAT includes four sections: Reading, Writing and Language, Math – No Calculator, and Math – Calculator. Every question has four multiple choice answers, except four grid-in questions on each math section. Doing a practice test builds confidence for test day.
- Time management is key to success. Group questions by difficulty, and on the first time through the test, answer all the easy questions. Go through again answering the medium questions, and if you have time, answer the hard questions.
- Save the last few minutes to provide an answer for each question. There is NOT a penalty for wrong answers.
- For the Reading section, find evidence (specific lines) from the passages to support answer choices. For vocabulary questions, read the sentences with each answer choice to find the correct answer.
- On the Writing and Language section, read questions carefully. Pay attention to verb tenses throughout the passage. Look for the subject and check for agreement.
- For the Math sections, you will be given a reference sheet with useful formulas and equations, so don't worry about memorizing these.
- On the Math – Calculator section, use estimation to help eliminate choices. If you aren't sure how to solve a problem, try substituting answer choices when possible. Also, use your calculator's abilities to your advantage.
- Get enough sleep, and eat breakfast on test day. Research shows students who feel rested will perform better on the test.
About Test Innovators
Test Innovators is the leading test prep platform for the SSAT and ISEE. Founded in 2013, TI's adaptive technology is used by students, schools, and top tutoring companies worldwide, and has helped tens of thousands of students get into the most selective schools. A complete test prep solution, Test Innovators offers full-length practice tests, immediate scoring, actionable insights, a timing feature that builds critical time management skills, and access to world-class tutors. To learn more, visit www.testinnovators.com.
Director of Marketing
This release was issued through WebWire(R). For more information visit http://www.webwire.com.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/psat-the-best-tips-and-strategies-for-test-success-300345013.html
SOURCE Test Innovators