LAS VEGAS, Jan. 5, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM) today announced that its subsidiary, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. has expanded its automotive technology portfolio to provide a collection of industry-leading technologies enabling timely innovation across all tiers of the automotive industry through highly integrated solutions in the areas of telematics and connectivity, as well as high definition graphics and multimedia for rich infotainment systems, machine intelligence and sensor fusion for advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS), GNSS location technologies, V2X (Vehicle to Vehicle/Infrastructure/Pedestrian) communications for improved safety and driver convenience, and wireless charging for electric vehicles. The recent acquisition of Cambridge Silicon Radio Limited (CSR) has brought additional technology assets to Qualcomm Technologies' automotive portfolio, including leading Bluetooth®, Wi-Fi®, audio, and GNSS location technology solutions. The combined CSR and Qualcomm Technologies automotive roadmap has already yielded involvement in more than 100 major automotive programs with most global automotive OEMs. Qualcomm Technologies' highly integrated system-on-chip (SoC) platforms reduce bill-of-materials (BOM) costs, accelerate time-to-market, and reduce overall system risk for OEMs by providing hardened systems and comprehensive software support.
"Qualcomm Technologies is well positioned in the automotive industry to offer our customers comprehensive solutions across a very broad range of technologies including telematics, connectivity, multimedia, location, compute, machine learning, imaging, safety, and control. This diverse and powerful portfolio of technologies allows us to offer highly integrated, scalable platforms for infotainment, telematics, connectivity, GNSS, machine intelligence, V2X communications and wireless electric vehicle charging," said Patrick Little, senior vice president and general manager, automotive, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc.
"The speed of innovation within vehicle electronics is rapidly accelerating, requiring advanced integration and technology convergence leadership to deliver the challenging user experiences and continuous cost reductions expected by our customers. Qualcomm Technologies and Qualcomm Technologies International, Ltd. (QTIL), formerly Cambridge Silicon Radio Limited, each bring rich and technologically advanced automotive product lines – ranging from discrete connectivity solutions to leading-edge SoC solutions offering new levels of integration and cost effectiveness for tomorrow's converged architectures," he said.
The combined portfolio of automotive solutions includes:
- Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 820A Processor – Qualcomm Technologies' newest automotive grade SoC offering a scalable next-generation infotainment, graphics and multimedia platform with integrated LTE-Advanced connectivity and machine intelligence. Announced at CES 2016, the Snapdragon 820A is scalable from premium to standard tiers and is designed with a modular approach, enabling a vehicle's infotainment system to be upgradable through both hardware and software updates.
- Snapdragon 602A Processor – an integrated chipset solution first announced at CES 2014 that supports advanced smartphone-level multimedia, navigation, connectivity and voice quality and control features in cars. The 602A contains Qualcomm Technologies' quad-core Qualcomm® Krait™ CPU, Qualcomm® Adreno™ 320 GPU, Qualcomm® Hexagon™ DSP, integrated GNSS baseband processing and additional high-performance audio, video and communication cores.
- Snapdragon X12 LTE Modem – the premier modem within the Snapdragon family with peak download speeds up to 600 Mbps and download speeds up to 150 Mbps, the X12 LTE modem supports several next-generation features such as LTE Advanced Carrier Aggregation, LTE in unlicensed spectrum (LTE-U), and LTE + Wi-Fi Link Aggregation.
- Snapdragon X5 LTE Modem – the mobile industry's first modem to implement 4G LTE Advanced carrier aggregation, achieving LTE Category 4 peak download data rates of up to 150Mbps by aggregation of two 10MHz LTE.
- Qualcomm® VIVE™ 802.11ac technology (QCA65x4 Wi-Fi) – a chipset used in tandem with X12 and X5 modems to deliver superior Wi-Fi and support consumer features like Wi-Fi 802.11ac hotspots and safety applications such as vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) and vehicle-to-infrastructure (V2I) with a seamless combination of Wi-Fi and Dedicated Short Range Communication (DSRC). Qualcomm VIVE is a product of Qualcomm Atheros, Inc.
- Qualcomm Atlas™ infotainment SoC – QTIL's highly integrated, cost-effective, pre-packaged Display Audio solution for mid-to-standard tiers, that integrates infotainment, connectivity and location features in a single turnkey SoC solution for the in-vehicle environment.
- Qualcomm® tuneX™ chip – QTIL's pin-compatible front-end tuner chip that expertly combines hardware and software to provide automotive OEMs with a highly cost-effective software-defined radio (SDR) solution, and offers leading RF performance across all radio standards including AM/FM, DAB, T-DMB, DRM and HD Radio, eliminating the need for OEMs to implement dedicated hardware for each region.
- Qualcomm Halo™ wireless electric vehicle charging (WEVC) – Qualcomm Incorporated's highly efficient, convenient and easy-to-use technology for charging electric vehicles without the need to plug-in. Developed over many years, the technology uses resonant magnetic induction to transfer energy, wirelessly, from a ground-based pad to a pad integrated in the vehicle. Qualcomm Incorporated is an Official Technical Partner of FIA Formula E Championship and Qualcomm Halo™ WEVC systems are integrated into the Official Qualcomm Safety Cars. Allowing these key support vehicles to be charged wirelessly enables them to remain fully charged at all times, ready to be rapidly deployed in case of an emergency.
- Discrete auto grade GNSS, Bluetooth, and Bluetooth/Wi-Fi combo products – these include solutions such as QTIL's CSRC9300, which combines Bluetooth Smart, Wi-Fi and its Qualcomm® aptX™ audio codec to support new applications for cars such as in-vehicle video streaming; and standalone GNSS with Dead Reckoning support, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi products.
To see demonstrations of industry-leading automotive technology solutions, visit the Qualcomm Automotive booth, North Hall #915 and Qualcomm booth, Central Hall, #8643 at the Las Vegas Convention Center at CES 2016.
About Qualcomm Incorporated
Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM) is a world leader in 3G, 4G and next-generation wireless technologies. Qualcomm Incorporated includes Qualcomm's licensing business, QTL, and the vast majority of its patent portfolio. Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., a subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated, operates, along with its subsidiaries, substantially all of Qualcomm's engineering, research and development functions, and substantially all of its products and services businesses, including its semiconductor business, QCT. For more than 30 years, Qualcomm ideas and inventions have driven the evolution of digital communications, linking people everywhere more closely to information, entertainment and each other. For more information, visit Qualcomm's website, OnQ blog, Twitter and Facebook pages.
Qualcomm, Snapdragon, Adreno, Hexagon, and VIVE are trademarks of Qualcomm Incorporated, registered in the United States and other countries. Qualcomm Halo, Krait and Qualcomm Atlas are trademarks of Qualcomm Incorporated. aptX is a trademark of Qualcomm Technologies International, Ltd., registered in the United States and other countries. tuneX is a trademark of Qualcomm Technologies International, Ltd. Bluetooth is a registered trademark of Bluetooth SIG, Inc. Wi-Fi is a registered trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance. Qualcomm Snapdragon, Qualcomm Adreno, Qualcomm Hexagon and Qualcomm Krait are products of Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. Qualcomm VIVE is a product of Qualcomm Atheros, Inc. Qualcomm Atlas, Qualcomm aptX, Qualcomm tuneX and CSRC9300 are products of Qualcomm Technologies International, Ltd. Qualcomm Halo WEVC technology is licensed by Qualcomm Incorporated. Other product and brand names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.
Qualcomm Contacts: Pete Lancia, Corporate Communications Phone: 1-858-845-5959 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Warren Kneeshaw, Investor Relations Phone: 1-858-658-4813 Email: email@example.com
SOURCE Qualcomm Incorporated