Qualcomm Life Announces Members of New Advisory Council
— Inaugural Meeting to be Held Following Wireless-Life Sciences Alliance (WLSA) Convergence Summit in San Diego —
SAN DIEGO, May 23, 2012 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Qualcomm Life, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM), today announced the members of its new Qualcomm Life Advisory Council. Together with the vast experience and insight of the 25 council members, Qualcomm Life will address the key issues that the wireless health industry is facing, including adoption, reimbursement, privacy and security policies and interoperability.
"With a better understanding of the pivotal issues facing the wireless health community, we can prioritize our initiatives in order to make a more targeted impact in health care that will ultimately deliver better care at a lower cost utilizing wireless technology," said Rick Valencia, vice president and general manager of Qualcomm Life. "The Advisory Council will play an integral role in guiding us on the next phase of our business and the strategic growth of our 2net ecosystem."
The Advisory Council also will serve as a sounding board for potential investments via the Qualcomm Life Fund, an initiative aimed at accelerating wireless health services and technology adoption. The multi-disciplinary Council was established in February 2012 and will hold its first meeting May 25, 2012 following the WLSA Convergence Summit in San Diego.
"With the proliferation of wireless technology worldwide, we are in a unique position at Qualcomm Life to impact how care is delivered on a broader scale," said Dr. Ilene Klein, chief medical advisor of Qualcomm Life and director of Global Employee Health Services for Qualcomm Incorporated. "As chair of the Advisory Council, I am so pleased to be working with some of the top leaders in the health care, wireless and mobile health industries to help us create viable solutions for some of healthcare's tougher challenges."
Every Advisory Council member has committed to a one year voluntary tenure. The full list of the members (in alphabetical order) is as follows:
- Scott Barclay, senior vice president and chief strategy officer, Surescripts
- Nancy Brown, CEO, American Heart Association
- Brook Byers, investment partner, Life Sciences, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers
- Dr. Benjamin Chu, group president, Southern California & Hawaii, Kaiser Permanente
- Dr. Peter Diamandis, chairman and CEO, The X PRIZE Foundation
- Kieran Gallahue, chairman and CEO, CareFusion
- Major General Elder Granger, M.D. US Army (retired), former deputy director, TRICARE Management Activity, Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs
- Matthew Holt, blogger/founder, Health 2.0
- James Hummer, founder, Luxemburg Capital and former CEO, Whole Health Management
- Dean Kamen, inventor and founder, DEKA Research & Development Corporation
- Dr. Francine Kaufman, former president, National Diabetes Association and chief medical officer and vice president of Global Clinical, Diabetes, Medtronic
- Dr. Ilene Klein, chief medical advisor of Qualcomm Life and director of Global Employee Health Services for Qualcomm, Inc. (Chair)
- Dr. Isaac Kohane, director of the Children's Hospital Informatics Program and Henderson professor of Pediatrics and Health Sciences and Technology, Harvard Medical School
- Dr. Daniel Kraft, founder, FutureMed
- Dr. Joseph Kvedar, director, Center for Connected Health, Partners HealthCare
- Dr. Jack Lord, chief operating officer, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine and UHealth-University of Miami Health System
- Dr. Arnie Milstein, medical director, Pacific Business Group on Health/ Mercer Benefits Consulting & Stanford CERC
- Diego Miralles, head of Janssen Healthcare Innovation, West Coast Research Center and Janssen Labs, Johnson & Johnson
- Jean Rawlings, chief consumer strategist, UnitedHealth Group IT
- Lee Shapiro, president, Allscripts
- Larry Smarr, founder of California Institute for Telecommunications & Information Technology (Calit2), University of California, San Diego
- Dr. Mark Smith, president and CEO, California Healthcare Foundation
- Lisa Suennen, managing member, Psilos Ventures
- Dr. Eric Topol, director of Scripps Translational Science Institute and co-founder of West Wireless Institute
- John Wilbanks, senior fellow in Entrepreneurship, Kauffman Foundation
About Qualcomm Life
Qualcomm Life is defining and connecting the wireless health network to improve lives and advance the capabilities of medical devices. Qualcomm Life is focused on device connectivity and data management and empowers medical device manufacturers to deliver wireless health quickly and easily to those who need it. The Qualcomm Life team has the experience and the wireless know-how to make the enormous complexities of a wireless connection look simple. We draw from our parent company's more than 25 years of wireless connectivity experience, know-how and universal interoperability to enable unified machine-to-machine (M2M) communications. To learn more, please visit www.qualcommlife.com.
Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM) is the world leader in 3G and next-generation mobile technologies. For more than 25 years, Qualcomm ideas and inventions have driven the evolution of digital communications, linking people everywhere more closely to information, entertainment and each other. For more information, visit Qualcomm's website, OnQ blog, Twitter and Facebook pages.
Qualcomm is a registered trademark of Qualcomm Incorporated. 2net and Qualcomm Life are trademarks of Qualcomm Incorporated. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Emily Kilpatrick, Corporate Communications
Jamie Eisinger, Qualcomm Life
Warren Kneeshaw, Investor Relations
SOURCE Qualcomm Incorporated
More by this Source
Qualcomm to Provide iBeacon Hardware to Work with the "MLB.com At The Ballpark" App
Mar 06, 2014, 07:30 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.