SAN JOSE, Calif., Oct. 12, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Quantum Corp. (NYSE: QTM) today announced a new Scalar® storage platform optimized for storing and managing the ever-increasing volumes of unstructured data. The first new products based on this platform are the Scalar i6 and Scalar i3 tape libraries and the StorNext AEL6 purpose-built rich media archive appliance. The new Scalar platform is the latest addition to Quantum's multi-tier portfolio of workflow, hybrid flash, object-based, cloud and tape storage that enables customers to maximize the value of their data in the most efficient and cost-effective manner.
Addressing Massive Unstructured Data Growth
Customers are contending with massive growth of unstructured data, including video and other rich media types:
- Media and entertainment companies transitioning to 4K workflows.
- Security and video surveillance deployments adding more high-definition cameras and sophisticated analytics.
- Cloud storage providers expanding their customer base.
Tape can play a key role in addressing the challenges of unstructured data growth, providing data protection, active archive or long-term cold storage — including protecting against ransomware with an offline copy. In addition, tape continues to be significantly more cost-effective than any other storage medium, as reflected in the following chart:
The Most Efficient Tape Storage Today
The new Scalar storage platform takes the benefits of tape to the next level. It offers best-in-class storage density — twice that of earlier-generation rack-mounted libraries — enabling organizations of all sizes to reduce their data center footprint and further reduce their storage costs. As an example, Scalar customers can vault tapes within a system to provide on-premise, monitored cold storage for less than $0.001 per GB, or $0.0014 per GB per month — a fraction of the cost of public cloud storage.
Other innovations contributing to the Scalar's efficiency include:
- 80 PLUS® certified power supplies, a unique feature of the Scalar platform, minimize power and cooling costs and reduce the impact of data centers on the environment.
- Quantum's iLayer™ proactive diagnostics resolve issues before they affect operations, to maximize library uptime and minimize operational expenses.
- Embedded compute capabilities eliminate the need for external application servers.
- Policy-based data integrity checking — with the ability to move data off suspect tapes — and in-library active vaulting enable the storage of petabytes of data reliably and cost-effectively for years.
Enhanced User Experience
Consumer IT has raised expectations for the user experience in the data center. As a result, the new Scalar platform significantly modernizes and enhances the user experience with features such as an all-new HTTP-based interface; automated setup, configuration and management tasks via web services; an intuitive, swipe-based local user interface design; and interaction via mobile devices.
Three New Offerings Based on the Scalar Platform
The first tape products based on the new Scalar platform are designed for three distinct environments:
- The Scalar i3 — Easy. Scalable. Efficient. Ideal for small and medium-sized businesses, the Scalar i3 delivers a new level of simplicity and scalability, providing up to 3PB of storage in only 12U of rack space.
- The Scalar i6 — Efficient. Intelligent. Enterprise-Scale. Scaling up to 12PB within a single 48U rack, the Scalar i6 is targeted toward highly demanding workflows and enterprise environments.
- The StorNext AEL6 Appliance — Powering Media Workflows. The new StorNext AEL6 combines the Scalar i6 library with Quantum's StorNext® data management software, enhancing the StorNext AEL line of purpose-built, archive storage appliances for media workflows. StorNext enables easy access to data stored on tape, with options for CIFS, NFS, and RESTful interfaces.
Availability and Pricing
The Scalar i3, Scalar i6 and StorNext AEL6 will begin shipping next month, with list prices starting at $8,500 for the Scalar i3, $25,000 for the Scalar i6, and $42,500 for the StorNext AEL6.
Mark Chessler, Senior Marketing and Vendor Relations Manager, T2 Computing
"Our customers are increasingly using tape in new and innovative ways to cope with a flood of unstructured data. We anticipate that the Scalar tape platform will fill a critical and growing need for customers seeking to efficiently reap the value of their data."
Steven Hill, Senior Storage Analyst, The 451 Group
"Tape continues to represent an extremely viable option as a low-cost storage platform for large-scale, unstructured data. Using a combination of fast and dense LTO-7 plus a highly efficient library design, Quantum's new Scalar platform focuses on giving tape libraries a far more flexible and intelligent role in the long-term protection, management and accessibility of unstructured data."
Geoff Stedman, Senior Vice President, Product and Solutions Marketing, Quantum
"Tape has long been synonymous with backup, but its future is as an enabler of efficient unstructured data storage. Use cases like cloud-based cold storage, video production, video surveillance and autonomous car design are ideal for tape, and Quantum's new Scalar platform offers the most efficient tape storage available for these environments."
- For more about the new Scalar platform: www.quantum.com/products/tapelibraries/index.aspx
- Watch a video exploring the Scalar platform's features and use cases: www.quantum.com/launchevent
- For an interactive demonstration of the Scalar platform: https://apps.kaonadn.net/5080970084483072/index.html
Quantum is a leading expert in scale-out storage, archive and data protection, providing solutions for capturing, sharing and preserving digital assets over the entire data lifecycle. From small businesses to major enterprises, more than 100,000 customers have trusted Quantum to address their most demanding data workflow challenges. Quantum's end-to-end, tiered storage foundation enables customers to maximize the value of their data by making it accessible whenever and wherever needed, retaining it indefinitely and reducing total cost and complexity. See how at www.quantum.com/customerstories.
Quantum, the Quantum logo, iLayer, Scalar and StorNext are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Quantum Corporation and its affiliates in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
"Safe Harbor" Statement: This press release contains "forward-looking" statements. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements. Specifically, but without limitation, statements relating to: 1) benefits and value to customers from using Quantum Scalar i3 and Scalar i6 tape libraries, and StorNext AEL6 appliance, 2) customer demand for and Quantum's future revenue from such products and 3) the availability of these new products, are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Safe Harbor. All forward-looking statements in this press release are based on information available to Quantum on the date hereof. These statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause Quantum's actual results to differ materially from those implied by the forward-looking statements. More detailed information about these risk factors are set forth in Quantum's periodic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including, but not limited to, those risks and uncertainties listed in the section entitled "Risk Factors," in Quantum's Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on August 5, 2016 and in Quantum's Annual Report on Form 10-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on June 3, 2016, as amended, especially those risks listed in this section under the heading "Our operating results depend on a limited number of products and on new product introductions, which may not be successful, in which case our business, financial condition and operating results may be materially and adversely affected." Quantum expressly disclaims any obligation to update or alter its forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by applicable law.
Public Relations Contact:
+1 (720) 201-8125
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/quantum-announces-new-scalar-storage-platform-300343260.html
SOURCE Quantum Corp.