SAN JOSE, Calif., Jan. 12, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Quantum Corp. (NYSE: QTM) today announced Q-Cloud® Protect is now available as a cloud-based appliance running on top of the Amazon Web Services (AWS) Marketplace infrastructure. Q-Cloud Protect™ is a virtual deduplication appliance that works with Quantum DXi® systems to provide a hybrid-cloud backup and disaster recovery (DR) solution, and is designed for companies with single sites looking to protect their business against localized disasters, organizations eliminating tape for off-site protection and companies seeking a hybrid-cloud approach to backup and DR. Q-Cloud Protect is available today in the Amazon Public Marketplace, and will soon be available in the AWS GovCloud and C2S environments.
Disaster Recovery -- A Practical First Step Toward Cloud Adoption
Companies of all sizes need to protect data from the threat of disasters. A best practice for data protection is to keep one copy of data off-site, but many companies struggle with the expense. Sending tapes off-site, or purchasing hardware for DR sites or hosted data centers requires additional capital expense and can be difficult to manage.
Off-site storage for disaster recovery as part of a hybrid approach to data protection is a practical place to start using the cloud. Cloud can make it economically viable for companies to follow the best practice of storing critical data off-site to protect against localized disasters, without capital investment.
Q-Cloud Protect Benefits
Q-Cloud Protect offers some key advantages to make DR simple, providing an easy option to protect data against localized disasters and replacing upfront costs with a pay-as-you-go OPEX model:
- Protect Critical Data in an Amazon Data Center: A best practice for data protection is to store a copy of data 100 miles from the primary data center. With Q-Cloud Protect, data can be stored in deduplicated form in one of Amazon's Availability Zone data centers and recovered in the event of a disaster.
- Cut Capital Expenses With Predictable, Metered Pricing: Q-Cloud Protect is the first purpose-built virtual deduplication appliance available in AWS Marketplace. It is licensed on an hourly basis, enabling customers to pay only for the cloud resources they use as their system grows, cutting capital expenses.
- Reduce Cloud Storage and Data Transmission Costs: Q-Cloud Protect uses Quantum's patented variable-length deduplication and replication engine to replicate data from an on-premise deduplication appliance to Q-Cloud Protect, cutting both storage costs and data transmission costs by 90 percent or more. The result is fast replication at a low TCO, and customers gain the ability to restore their data straight from the cloud in a DR scenario.
- Eliminate Off-site Tape Vaulting and Improve Restore Times: Q-Cloud Protect provides deduplicated off-site storage in Amazon's cloud, protecting businesses against localized disasters, and offers a simple alternative to sending tapes off-site for DR.
- Robert Kelly, CEO and Founder, Partners Data Systems Inc.: "For companies with a single site looking to protect their business against localized disasters, or who are eliminating tape for off-site protection, especially with a hybrid-cloud approach to backup and DR, Q-Cloud Protect is a great option."
- Jason Buffington, Senior Analyst, Enterprise Strategy Group: "You can't have a conversation about IT (or data protection) modernization without talking about 'the cloud.' And certainly one of the more exciting intersections between cloud services and data protection is in the use of off-site data survivability and BC/DR preparedness; ideally as an extension of one's primary data protection strategy and architecture. Q-Cloud Protect is designed for just that. Considering Quantum's long-standing presence in not only disk-based (DXi) but also tape-based (LTO) protection medium, cloud-based solutions are the next logical step."
- Robert Clark, Senior Vice President, Product Operations, Quantum: "Many of our customers face a mandate to start using the cloud, and it can be hard to know where to begin. Q-Cloud Protect enables them to start using the cloud for off-site disaster recovery, directly integrating it with their existing infrastructure while taking advantage of cloud economics."
- Read more about Q-Cloud Protect: www.quantum.com/q-cloud
- Go to the Q-Cloud Protect page on the Amazon Web Services Marketplace: www.quantum.com/q-cloud-protect-aws
- Watch the Q-Cloud Protect video: www.quantum.com/how-q-cloud-works
Quantum is a leading expert in scale-out storage, archive and data protection, providing solutions for capturing, sharing and preserving digital assets over the entire data lifecycle. From small businesses to major enterprises, more than 100,000 customers have trusted Quantum to address their most demanding data workflow challenges. With Quantum, customers can Be Certain™ they have the end-to-end storage foundation to maximize the value of their data by making it accessible whenever and wherever needed, retaining it indefinitely and reducing total cost and complexity. See how at www.quantum.com/customerstories.
Quantum, the Quantum logo, Be Certain, DXi, Q-Cloud and Q-Cloud Protect are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Quantum Corporation and its affiliates in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
"Safe Harbor" Statement: This press release contains "forward-looking" statements. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements. Specifically, but without limitation, statements relating to 1) benefits and value to customers from using Quantum's Q-Cloud Protect appliances, 2) customer demand for and Quantum's future revenue from such appliances, and 3) the future outlets where Q-Cloud Protect will be available are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Safe Harbor. All forward-looking statements in this press release are based on information available to Quantum on the date hereof. These statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause Quantum's actual results to differ materially from those implied by the forward-looking statements. More detailed information about these risk factors are set forth in Quantum's periodic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including, but not limited to, those risks and uncertainties listed in the section entitled "Risk Factors," in Quantum's Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on November 6, 2015 and in Quantum's Annual Report on Form 10-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on June 12, 2015, especially those risks listed in this section under the headings "Our operating results depend on a limited number of products and on new product introductions, which may not be successful, in which case our business, financial condition and operating results may be materially and adversely affected." Quantum expressly disclaims any obligation to update or alter its forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by applicable law.
Public Relations Contact: Bob Wientzen Quantum Corp. +1 (720) 201-8125 email@example.com
SOURCE Quantum Corp.