R2 Solutions Announces R2:2013 Global Electronics Recycling Certification
Updated standard offers Fortune 1000 companies, governments and other organizations the highest level of data protection; prioritizes reuse
BOULDER, Colo., June 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- R2 Solutions is announcing significant updates to its R2 certification standard. The new standard, R2:2013, greatly increases the oversight and quality assurance tools critical to a voluntary certification program. With a more stringent, accountable program, R2:2013 is the premiere industry certification for electronics recyclers that can be put into practice anywhere in the world. The new standard will go into effect July 1, 2013.
"It is essential for the electronics recycling industry around the globe to continuously raise the bar when it comes to data security, the environment, and the health and safety of its employees and surrounding communities," said John Lingelbach, executive director of R2 Solutions. "With R2:2013, we continue to improve the R2 Standard so that we can offer recyclers and their upstream customers the absolute best in electronics recycling industry practices."
R2:2013 highlights include:
- A requirement for all R2 facilities to have an approved environmental, health and safety management system (EHSMS). Currently, approved management systems include a combination of ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 or the Recycling Industry Operating Standard (RIOS™). The EHSMS requirement improves the integrity and accountability of the entire R2 certification.
- Enhanced export requirements for more explicit compliance with export and import laws of all exporting, importing and in-transit countries, whether OECD or non-OECD.
- A fully comprehensive approach to data security and destruction, assuring the security of all media until it is thoroughly sanitized or destroyed.
- Clarified downstream due diligence requirements to better track equipment containing Focus Materials through each vendor until it is sold for reuse or as a commodity.
"We are excited to see the new developments in R2, particularly the 'R2 Ready for Reuse' recognition, which raises the bar for refurbished electronics," said Sean Nicholson, Refurbisher Program manager for Microsoft. "R2:2013 will help the industry demonstrate the quality of its products and extend the life of electronics, which yields further environmental and economic benefits."
"Achieving R2 certification, together with Canon's other environmental efforts, clearly demonstrates to customers our dedication to enhancing sound environmental practices and continually looking for ways to reduce our environmental footprint throughout all aspects of our business," said Mario Rufino, manager, Environmental Management and Product Safety, Canon U.S.A., Inc. "R2:2013 offers prominent companies like ours a recognized accreditation standard for recycling programs to help give customers peace of mind and strengthen the company brand." Canon Virginia, Inc. (CVI), a wholly owned subsidiary of Canon U.S.A., was the first original equipment manufacturer (OEM) to achieve R2 certification in April of this year.
The updated standard was developed after a thorough evaluation of the current R2:2008 standard by a multi-stakeholder group, the R2 Technical Advisory Committee (TAC). Participants of the TAC deliberations included representatives from Best Buy, Dell, Microsoft, UPS, the U.S. federal government's General Services Administration (GSA), and some of the most progressive large and small electronics recyclers and refurbishers in the world.
The R2 Standard was originally developed by a multi-stakeholder group convened by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The EPA encourages all electronics recyclers to become certified and upstream customers to choose certified electronics recyclers. The EPA currently lists R2 as a certification option under its eCycling resources.
Currently, more than 400 electronics recycling facilities have been certified to the R2 Standard. The R2 Standard's reach is global with facilities certified in Australia, Canada, China, Costa Rica, England, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand and Singapore.
To learn more about R2:2013 and to get certified, please visit www.R2Solutions.org.
About R2 Solutions
R2 Solutions (R2S) is a non-profit organization established to house the R2 Practices. We conduct educational and outreach services and provide administrative support for the multi-stakeholder R2 Technical Advisory Committee. Our goals:
- Assure open, transparent, and balanced governance of the R2 Standard
- Educate about responsible recycling practices
- Promote the use of the R2 Standard
- Explore opportunities for collaboration in furtherance of responsible electronics recycling throughout the world
SOURCE R2 Solutions
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.