NEW YORK, Jan. 4, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Use this report to:
- Examine present and future strategies within the radiopharmaceuticals market, which includes radiopharmaceuticals for both diagnostic purposes and therapeutic purposes.
- Learn about the new developments in the market, including barriers and demand.
- Analyze the structure of the radiopharmaceuticals industry.
- The global market radiopharmaceuticals were valued at nearly $5.1 billion and $5.7 billion in 2014 and 2015, respectively. This market is expected to increase from nearly $6.5 billion in 2016 to $11.6 billion in 2021 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12.4% for 2016-2021.
- North American radiopharmaceuticals market is expected to grow from $3.5 billion in 2016 to $6.1 billion in 2021 at a CAGR of 11.8% from 2016 through 2021.
- European radiopharmaceuticals market is expected to grow from $1.7 billion in 2016 to $3.2 billion at a CAGR of 13.2% from 2016 through 2021.
Radiopharmaceuticals, also known as radioactive drugs, are used as diagnostic agents and therapeutic agents for various diseases such as cardiac and neurological conditions and to treat several types of cancers. Population growth, increasing life expectancy, population aging and improved diagnostic modalities are key factors in market growth for radiopharmaceuticals. BCC Research's goal in conducting this study is to provide an overview of the current and expected future characteristics of the global market for radiopharmaceuticals.
This report examines present and future strategies within the radiopharmaceuticals market, which includes radiopharmaceuticals for both diagnostic purposes and therapeutic purposes. Radiopharmaceuticals for diagnostics are further categorized into radiopharmaceuticals used in positron emission tomography (PET), single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) and other modalities such as two-dimensional scintigraphy and blood tests. Radiopharmaceuticals used for therapeutic purposes are further categorized into alpha emitters, beta emitters and brachytherapy seeds.
This report discusses new developments in the market, including barriers and demand. The classifications and comparisons of radiopharmaceuticals products are also included in this report. A detailed analysis of the structure of the radiopharmaceuticals industry is provided, and revenues are broken down by region. Sales figures are estimated for the five-year period from 2015 to 2021. The report also covers significant patents and their allotments in each category of radiopharmaceuticals.
REASONS FOR DOING THIS STUDY
Radiopharmaceuticals are medicinal formulations that contain radioisotopes. They are composed of a radioisotope and a carrier molecule and are generally molded according to the physiological function of the targeted organ. After administration, the radioisotope emits gamma radiation, which is used for either therapeutic or diagnostic purposes. In recent years, the market for diagnostic radiopharmaceuticals has shown growth due to the increasing incidence of cancer and neurological and cardiac diseases and the development of better imaging techniques for conditions such as Alzheimer's disease. Therapeutic radiopharmaceuticals account for a small proportion of the global radiopharmaceuticals market. However, the market for therapeutic radiop-harmaceuticals is expected to experience strong growth in the coming years due to increased demand.
R&D spending, along with increasing competition, expiration of related patent and new technologies, are giving a new direction to the market. Technology advancements, new product launches and changing lifestyles will influence future market growth. This study discusses how these factors will affect the market. Companies' acquisition strategies and collaborations are also covered in this report. Further, the report discusses the strengths and weaknesses of each radiopharmaceuticals type in light of new technologies, growing competition and changing customer needs.
CONTRIBUTIONS OF THE STUDY AND INTENDED AUDIENCE
This study contributes information regarding market growth for radiopharmaceutical products, including manufacturers and users. Research centers, hospitals, various clinical settings, academic institutions, physicians, government and private laboratories, and pharmaceutical, diagnostic and biotechnology companies will find this study of interest.
SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This report focuses on the global market for radiopharmaceutical products. Radiopharmaceuticals provide actual mapping of the physiological functions and metabolic activity of organs. They provide highly specific information on organ function and dysfunction. Radiopharmaceuticals can also be used in radiotherapy to destroy dysfunctional cells.
In this report, BCC Research analyzes each global market in terms of applications, regulatory environment, new products and advancements, market projections and market shares. The geographical regions covered in the report are North America and Europe and an emerging markets category. The emerging markets category covers countries that include India, China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Africa, Australia, New Zealand and Canada.
This report also includes an analysis of relevant patent and comprehensive profiles of leading companies in the radiopharmaceuticals industry. Some of the major global players in the radiopharmaceuticals industry are Advanced Medical Isotope Corp., Advanced Accelerator Applications SA, Bayer AG (Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals Inc.), Bracco S.p.A. (Bracco Imaging S.p.A.), Cardinal Health Inc., Eli Lilly and Co., Fujifilm RI Pharma Co. Ltd. (Fujifilm Corp.), General Electric Co. (GE Healthcare), Jubilant Life Sciences (Jubilant DraxImage Inc.), Lantheus Holdings Inc. (Lantheus Medical Imaging Inc.), Mallinckrodt PLC, Navidea Biopharmaceuticals Inc., Noridon Inc., Piramal Enterprises Ltd. (Piramal Imaging SA), Siemens AG (Siemens PETNET Solutions Inc.) and Triad Isotopes Inc.
Both primary and secondary research methodologies were used in preparing this study. BCC Research conducted a comprehensive literature search that included technical newsletters, journals and many other sources. Data was collected through interviews and correspondence with manufacturers and users of radiopharmaceutical products. Projections are based on estimates of the current number of end users, potential end users, mergers and acquisitions, and market trends.
Companies, including manufacturers and end users of radiopharmaceutical products, were surveyed to obtain data for this study. Data was gathered from various industry sources. BCC Research spoke with officials within the industry and consulted newsletters, company and product literature, and a host of technical articles, journals, indexes and abstracts. Exhaustive investigations of databases by key terminology were completed, and data were compiled from current financial, trade and government sources.
The study was carried out by a team of professionals in the biotechnology industry. The project manager was Shalini S. Dewan, who holds a master's degree in pharmaceutical chemistry and has over 14 years of industry experience. She was awarded a Gold Medal by the Prime Minister of India for her work and has worked with top companies in India and the United States. Her other reports for BCC Research include:
- Global Markets for Reagents for Chromatography.
- Global Markets for Spectroscopy Equipment.
- Global Markets and Technologies for Advanced Drug Delivery Systems.
- Orthopedic Drugs, Implants and Devices.
- Global Markets for Medical Imaging Reagents and Analysis Equipment.
- The Pharmaceutical Regulatory Industry.
- Global Markets for Media, Sera and Reagents in Biotechnology.
- Global Markets for Contract Pharmaceutical Manufacturing, Research and Packaging.
- Global Markets for Chiral Technology.
- Autacoids and Related Drugs: Technologies and Global Markets.
- Contraceptives: Technologies and Global Markets.
- Liver Disease Treatments: The Global Market.
- Hormone Replacement Therapies and Other Hormone Therapies:
- Global Markets.
- Cardiovascular Medicine: Diagnostics, Drugs and Devices.
- Cancer Therapies: Technologies and Global Markets.
- Medical Imaging Reagents and Analysis Equipment.
The lead consultant for this project was Ms. Shalini Agarwal, who holds a master's degree in business administration and a bachelor's degree in science. She has authored many reports and other publications for various companies while serving as a market research analyst.