Range Networks Launches 'OpenBTS Development Kit' New Product Enables Developers and Universities to Set Up a Cellular Network in Minutes
SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Range Networks, the leading U.S. provider of commercial open source cellular systems, today announced the availability of a new product for developers and educational institutions. Range Networks OpenBTS Development Kit allows students and researchers to develop and implement customizable cellular networks.
- A development kit that runs on open source software – The Open BTS Development Kit was created to run on OpenBTS, the open source software developed by the founders of Range Networks. It uses the latest public release of OpenBTS with source code included under the AGPLv3 license.
- All-inclusive kit enables standard GSM handsets to make calls over VoIP and other Internet protocols – The kit includes a preconfigured software suite and phones that allow students and developers to place calls immediately. Additionally, edits to the source code can be made easily without having to download and assemble different components (OpenBTS, Asterisk, Ubuntu, etc.).
- Simple, low cost and portable – The OpenBTS Development Kit provides the technology to make calls and send SMS on your own test network in under five minutes. At under $2,000 USD, it is the lowest cost cellular development kit available. It is lightweight and approximately the size of a textbook, making it easy to transport.
- Enhances and supports developer communities, university programs and advanced high school projects – The kit is ideally suited for university departments such as computer science, physics, electrical engineering and telecommunications. It is also an appropriate development tool for advanced high school students, maker spaces and mobile app developers.
Harvind Samra, co-founder and VP of engineering, Range Networks, said:
"As one of the inventors of the OpenBTS project, I am excited to help expand our open source community and support education in technology and telecommunications. Through the creation of this simple and portable development tool, we are able to provide developers, universities and anyone interested in cellular networking with the tools they need to explore OpenBTS technology."
SOCIAL MEDIA RESOURCES:
- Twitter Handle: @RangeNetworks
- LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/range-networks
About Range Networks
Range Networks is the future of cellular networks. Founded by the inventors of OpenBTS, the Company builds the only commercial open source cellular system. Range Networks' products are made in the U.S.A., and are simple to deploy and manage at a fraction of the cost of alternative solutions. Based on open standards, Range Networks provides connectivity to existing 2G/3G and 4G networks to rural communities, remote outposts and emergency crews. Additional information is available at: www.rangenetworks.com.
SOURCE Range Networks