WALTHAM, Mass., April 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) employees are passionate about the communities where they live and work – giving nearly 400,000 hours of their personal time over the past two years alone. In recognition of this extraordinary level of community engagement, Raytheon will highlight during National Volunteer Week, April 21-27, the positive impact company employees have on individuals and organizations throughout the year.
In honor of National Volunteer Week, Raytheon employees are encouraging everyone to volunteer by organizing and participating in events across the country that represent Raytheon's key corporate citizenship areas: inspiring students to embrace math and science education, empowering veterans through education, and supporting initiatives in our local communities.
Highlights of Raytheon-driven volunteering events in April include:
- "Creating Your Future in Math & Science" in Portsmouth, R.I.: Raytheon employees will introduce students from Kickemuit Middle School and the Lincoln School to careers in STEM (science, technology, engineering and math).
- "National Space Symposium" in Colorado Springs, Colo.: Raytheon is hosting 150 area students, showcasing the company's VIIRS technology that is responsible for the captivating "Blue Marble" and "Black Marble" images of Earth.
- "Techstravaganza" in Alexandria, Va.: Raytheon employees in the Washington, D.C., area will conduct interactive science experiments as part of Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology's Techstravaganza.
- "California State Science Fair" in Los Angeles: The El Segundo chapter of the Raytheon Asian Pacific Association will sponsor, and serve as judges for, the 2nd annual Raytheon Achievement Awards, which will be presented to 12 students who demonstrate the greatest potential for achieving technological breakthroughs in mathematics, physics and engineering.
- "NanoDays" in Boston: A nationwide celebration of nanoscale science hosted locally at the Museum of Science; Raytheon employees will introduce parents to the MathMovesU® program.
Through volunteer efforts, Raytheon employees support organizations such as The Boys & Girls Club, FIRST Robotics, Student Veterans of America, Wounded Warrior Project®, and many local community organizations around the world. For more information about Raytheon's community outreach efforts, visit www.raytheon.com/responsibility/community.
About National Volunteer Week
Sponsored by Points of Light, National Volunteer Week was established in 1974 and has grown dramatically through the years, with thousands of volunteer projects and special events scheduled throughout the week.
Raytheon's MathMovesU® program is an initiative committed to increasing middle and elementary school students' interest in math and science education by engaging them in hands-on, interactive activities. The innovative programs of MathMovesU include the traveling interactive experience MathAlive!™; Raytheon's Sum of all Thrills™ experience at INNOVENTIONS at Epcot®, which showcases math in action as students design and experience their own thrill ride using math fundamentals; the "In the Numbers" game, a partnership with the New England Patriots on display at The Hall at Patriot Place presented by Raytheon; the company's ongoing sponsorship of the MATHCOUNTS® National Competition; and the MathMovesU scholarship and grant program. Follow MathMovesU and other Raytheon community outreach programs on Facebook and on Twitter @MathMovesU.
Raytheon Company, with 2012 sales of $24 billion and 68,000 employees worldwide, is a technology and innovation leader specializing in defense, security and civil markets throughout the world. With a history of innovation spanning 91 years, Raytheon provides state-of-the-art electronics, mission systems integration and other capabilities in the areas of sensing; effects; and command, control, communications and intelligence systems; as well as a broad range of mission support services. Raytheon is headquartered in Waltham, Mass. For more about Raytheon, visit us at www.raytheon.com and follow us on Twitter @raytheon.
Raytheon Company Tina Martineau +1.781.522.6490 firstname.lastname@example.org
InkHouse Scott Montminy +1.781.966.4100 email@example.com
SOURCE Raytheon Company