RB Sustainability Report 2013
- Nine percent reduction in total product water impact per dose and seven percent reduction in carbon footprint per dose
- European factories achieved zero manufacturing waste to landfill status
- 19 million young people engaged in sexual health awareness campaign
- 1.5 million children reached through our partnership with Save the Children
- New 2020 goal launched to reach 200 million people to improve their health and hygiene behavior
PARSIPPANY, N.J., April 22, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- RB's 2013 Sustainability Report, Enabling Healthier Lives, published today, reveals that the company has achieved a nine percent reduction in lifecycle water impact per dose and seven percent reduction in carbon footprint per dose in 2013. For example, Vanish Power 02 Concentrate with Active Oxygen delivers twice the power in a compact package that has lower environmental impacts across its lifecycle. Over the course of the year, the product will save over 9000 kg of CO2 emissions and 3,700 kg of packaging.
In manufacturing, factories have found innovative ways to reduce waste. All European sites sent no manufacturing waste to landfill and in total twenty-two factories achieved zero waste to landfill status (almost 50 percent of all factories globally).
RB also set a new goal to reach over 200 million people to improve their health and hygiene behavior by 2020 through social innovation led by brands such as Durex. Enabling Healthier Lives includes examples of health and hygiene projects already improving people's lives like #someonelikeme – a global, youth-focused, HIV and AIDS awareness and prevention campaign launched by Durex and the MTV Staying Alive Foundation, which engaged over 19 million young people in 2013.
RB also expanded its long standing partnership with Save the Children launching a shared ambition to 'Save a Child Every Minute' by helping to stop death from diarrhoea in children under five.
Rakesh Kapoor, CEO, commented, "One year into our new betterbusiness sustainability strategy, we are already making great progress towards our goals for 2020. RB is a business inspired by a vision of a world where people are healthier and live better – and we're using our unique talents in innovation to help find solutions to important environmental, health & hygiene challenges that face the world today."
Enabling Healthier Lives also provides full details of RB's progress in other key areas of its betterbusiness sustainability strategy:
- Factories and warehouses reduced energy and water use by six percent and 19 percent respectively (per unit of production)
- Five percent reduction in accidents resulting in lost work days
- $7.5 million donated to Save the Children in 2013, including a record amount from employee fundraising
Recognizing RB's sustainability performance, the company was included in both the Dow Jones Sustainability Index Europe and the CDP's Carbon Disclosure Leadership Index in 2013.
For further information, visit: rb.com/sustainability.
*Data externally assured by EY
Note: RB's betterbusiness sustainability strategy includes these goals for 2020:
- To cut the water and carbon footprint of products by one third per dose
- To achieve one third of net revenue from more sustainable products
- To partner with Save the Children to "Save a Child Every Minute" by helping stop deaths from diarrhoea in children under five
- To reach over 200 million people to improve their health and hygiene behavior
About Reckitt Benckiser (RB):
RB is the global leader in consumer health and hygiene.
With a purpose of delivering innovative solutions for healthier lives and happier homes, RB is in the top 20 of companies listed on the London Stock Exchange. Today it is the global No 1 or No 2 in the majority of its fast-growing categories, driven by an exceptional rate of innovation. Its health, hygiene and home portfolio is led by 19 global Powerbrands including Nurofen, Strepsils Gaviscon, Mucinex, Durex, Scholl, Lysol, Dettol, Veet, Harpic, Mortein, Finish, Vanish. The company has operations in over 60 countries, with headquarters in the UK, Singapore, Dubai and Amsterdam, and sales in almost 200 countries. The company employs approximately 37,000 people worldwide.
For more information visit www.rb.com
Porter Novelli on behalf of Reckitt Benckiser (RB)
SOURCE Reckitt Benckiser (RB)