R&D Productivity - The State of Research and Development in the Biopharmaceutical Industry in 2013
DUBLIN, April 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
Research and Markets has announced the addition of the "R&D Productivity - The State of Research and Development in the Biopharmaceutical Industry" report to their offering.
(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20130307/600769 )
As blockbusters go off patent and the pool of marketed products supporting pharmaceutical Research & Development (R&D) decline, questions about the future of R&D in the pharmaceutical and biotech industry arise. Where will funding come from? Is spend decreasing? If spend is decreasing, what impact is this having on R&D? What can be done to encourage innovation in the biotech and pharmaceutical industry? Is the biotech model of R&D better for innovation than the traditional pharmaceutical model?
Gauging the overall growth of R&D in the pharmaceutical and biotech industry proves challenging in regards to stipulating the appropriate definition of variables by which this is measured. Public companies may release overall expenses, yet allocations to specific products or franchises may be more difficult to assess. On a related note, information may be available about specific research projects and molecules under development, yet tying those back to the overall R&D expenses can also be challenging. To that end, we are focused on general estimations in this report which address a high level analysis of the overall industry and a basic formulaic approach to understanding growth and productivity within R&D. The methods used for assessing these variables are supported by literature in the field.
Research & Development (R&D) in the Pharmaceutical and Biotech Industry has experienced a major shift from the blockbuster era of the last decade. Pharmaceutical manufacturers are operating with thinner margins and smaller pipelines, the success rates of early stage research projects have decreased, and overall the complexity of efficient and productive R&D in the pharmaceutical industry has increased. This report provides an overview of the current situation in pharmaceutical and biotech R&D.
Key Reasons to Purchase
- Understand the current state of R&D in the bio-pharmaceutical industry and the key issues that are affecting companys' efforts
- Assess the strategies being used to strengthen R&D productivity and relate them to what is taking place within your organization
- Evaluate how the top pharmaceutical and biotech companies have structured their pipeline
- Analyze the trends being seen in R&D spend and how different forms of collaboration could support a stronger R&D organization
- Examine the R&D landscape and identify the key disease areas seeing the greatest activity
- Benefit from CBR's insights & case study analysis to support a better understanding of different influencers of R&D productivity and the strategies which can be used within your organization
Key Topics Covered:
1. Executive Summary
2. Current Picture of Research and Development
- Key issues affecting the industry's R&D efforts
- A review of the industry pipeline
- Pipeline by phase of development
- Pipeline by therapeutic area and, more specifically, indication
- Pipeline's molecule mix
- Do traditional pharmaceutical companies still exist?
- Approvals by year and by sponsor (Established vs. Emerging companies)
- Trends in R&D spend
- Review of Top companies R&D spend
- Probability of success rates on several levels: overall clinical approval, phase transition, and therapeutic area.
3. R&D Productivity
- Components of R&D productivity: efficiency and effectiveness
- Variables that influence productivity
- Industry efforts to improve productivity
- CROs take on a greater role
- What roles do Physicians, Payers, Patients, and Shareholders play in R&D?
- Featuring Biotech Incubators
4. Company Pipeline Snapshots (15 companies included)
- Pipeline views on a company by company basis.
- Trends in R&D spend
For more information visit R&D Productivity - The State of Research and Development in the Biopharmaceutical Industry
Research and Markets is the world's leading source for international market research reports and market data. We provide you with the latest data on international and regional markets, key industries, the top companies, new products and the latest trends.
Research and Markets
Laura Wood, Senior Manager.
U.S. Fax: +1-646-607-1907
Fax (outside U.S.): +353-1-481-1716
SOURCE Research and Markets
More by this Source
Analysis of the Global Digital Signage Systems Market
Dec 19, 2013, 13:09 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.