GAINESVILLE, Va., May 22, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Gather your friends and family and enjoy the outdoors with a fun BBQ, but most importantly make it a day full of remembrance and family traditions. Beth DePompei, Entertaining Essentials Director at GreatGatherings.com shares some Memorial Day traditions for the whole family and ideas for your must-have BBQ.
A Casual and Commemorative BBQ:
- Stuff mason jars with a red or blue napkin then insert individual sets of silverware for each person. Guests can grab it on the go and have their napkin, silverware and glass all in one!
- Layer varying sizes of plates and napkins in red, white and blue for a festive table setting. Layer red and blue patterned plates like the coordinating Blue Melamine and Red Melamine serveware collections at Great Gatherings:
Memorial Day Traditions: even if you pick just one, it's something you and your loved ones can share together each year.
- Attend a Memorial Day Parade. This is the easiest and probably most fun one for the young ones. Be sure to follow the parade to the end and stick around afterwards to attend the Memorial Ceremony.
- Watch/Listen to the National Memorial Day Concert on NPR or PBS. On the eve of Memorial Day, a star-studded lineup will grace the stage to honor the military service and sacrifice of all our men and women in uniform, their families at home, and those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our country.
- Honor the National Moment of Remembrance. In 2000, Congress created the National Moment to make sure our troops are honored. At 3 p.m. on Memorial Day, every American is asked to pause for just one minute to honor the fallen. What does BBQ stand for on Memorial Day? Burgers, Beers, and Quiet time at 3 p.m.
GreatGatherings, a fresh and innovative retail concept, helps people perfect the art of entertaining with an extensive collection of furniture and entertaining essentials. Find huge savings on all outdoor furniture, now available to purchase online, pool tables, bars & game room furniture, hi top dining, entertaining essentials, and bar stools, during our Memorial Day and Here Comes The Sun sales events at GreatGatherings.com.