CHICAGO, Dec. 14, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Redbox, America's destination for convenient and affordable new release movie and game rentals, today announced its top 10 movie rentals of 2016. Eight of the top ten movies were comedies – from soon to be family classics like Hotel Transylvania 2 and Zootopia to irreverent comedies like Daddy's Home and Dirty Grandpa.
The 10 most-rented Redbox movies of 2016* are:
- Daddy's Home
- The Martian
- The Intern
- Hotel Transylvania 2
- Dirty Grandpa
- Ride Along 2
- The Revenant
Redbox also revealed the results of a New Year's Eve (NYE) survey of more than 2,800 consumers nationwide.** The results offer a glimpse into how America plans for NYE and what they intend to do this year.
- 94.5 percent of respondents agree dinner and a movie at home is a good way to spend time this NYE weekend.
- 70 percent of respondents plan their evening the day-of or only a few days in advance, making a movie-night a great last-minute alternative.
- In fact, 70 percent of respondents said they will probably or definitely watch a movie over NYE weekend.
- More than 1 in 6 respondents said a movie actually caused them to make a new resolution about their own life.
"America continues to enjoy the escape that only a movie can provide," said Galen Smith, CEO of Redbox. "With Daddy's Home, Deadpool and Zootopia topping the chart this past year, it's evident that comedies continue to be America's favorite genre. At Redbox, we're proud to provide consumers an affordable way to enjoy the latest movies together."
To watch and play all of the top movies and games of 2016 available to rent at Redbox now, visit http://www.Redbox.com/Bestof2016. Already watched the top 10 movies of 2016? Check out the Comedies available to rent at Redbox to laugh your way into 2017.
With more than 5 billion rentals to date, Redbox is America's source for affordable new release movie and video game rentals. Redbox offers DVD, Blu-ray Disc® and video-game rentals through the nation's largest network of more than 35,000 conveniently located, self-service entertainment kiosks. For more information, visit www.redbox.com.
* The 2016 Redbox top movie and game rentals are based on actual rental data from January 1 through December 8, 2016. Movies with less than 26 weeks of actual rental data include projected rentals into 2017.
** The results are based on a survey of more than 2,800 Redbox consumers nationwide conducted in November 2016.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/redbox-reveals-the-top-ten-movies-of-2016-300378417.html