SEATTLE, Jan. 27, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Active travel leader REI Adventures is launching a collection of 19 Women's Adventures in Africa, Europe, Latin America, New Zealand and North America. In addition, REI Adventures is expanding its cycling offerings into fully supported mountain bike trips and growing its Signature Camping itineraries in Africa and Latin America.
"Adventure travel can be inspiring and life-transforming. As we enter our 30th year, we are excited to roll out incredible itineraries for women to experience some of the world's best places, have a special sense of discovery and inspiration, and learn with women and from women around the world," says Cynthia Dunbar, general manager of REI Adventures. "Since 2010, women traveling with us has grown by 60 percent, and we continue to see this figure rise steadily annually. Last year alone, 58 percent of all our guests were women."
REI's Women's Adventures are extraordinary journeys designed especially for women who want to experience a destination—not just see it. Guests travel with female guides and a ready-made group of girlfriends. These lively trips blend outdoor activities with local spots, cuisines and communities a traveler wouldn't find on her own, and include little surprises along the way.
Examples of REI's new Women's Adventures include:
- Baja California Women's Adventure: Escape to a beachy oasis for an eight-day vacation where women kayak, snorkel, stand-up paddle board, surf and do yoga. In addition, guests meet local artists at galleries, enjoy gourmet meals along the way and have an opportunity to volunteer at a local nonprofit where women build their own greenhouses.
- Greek Islands Women's Adventure: Perfect for foodies and history-lovers, spend nine days island hopping Tinos, Naxos and Santorini. Guests hike through whitewashed villages and ancient trails of lush vineyards, terraced hillsides and olive groves. They unwind with beachside yoga, wine tastings, swimming in the Aegean Sea and learning how to prepare a traditional Mediterranean meal.
- New Zealand Women's Hiking – Southern Alps: Over 10-days, hike the wilderness through larger-than-life landscapes of South Island's peaks, plains and golden hills. Take a break from the trail by paddle boarding Lake Wanaka and enjoy a farm-to-table lunch at a woman-owned dairy. Evenings are authentically Kiwi with stays at the iconic Rex Simpson Hut and historic Ben Lomond lodge.
- South Africa Ultimate Women's Adventure and Safari: From Cape Town to Johannesburg, the 11-day odyssey explores the country's rich heritage by hiking, cycling, sea kayaking and a safari at the famous Sabi Sands Reserve. As one of the most beautiful wine-growing regions in the world, the group will wander the backroads and stop at estates to taste the celebrated vintages.
- Yosemite Women's Backpacking – Half Dome: A four-day adventure to the summit of Yosemite's most iconic peak. Guests hone their backpacking and wilderness skills during daily hikes, and evenings are filled with hearty gourmet dinner prepared by the guides and camaraderie around the campfire.
In addition to the women's collection, REI Adventures is introducing two fully supported mountain bike itineraries and expanding its exclusive Signature Camping offerings on Mount Kilimanjaro and along the Inca Trail.
Mountain biking for intermediate and advanced riders
REI Adventures has long offered fully supported bike touring to explore the world from the saddle. The company is expanding beyond road cycling by launching mountain biking itineraries for those who want to experience the thrill of single track on a high performance full-suspension bike.
REI's Grand Canyon & Bryce Mountain Biking is a four-day journey from Bryce Canyon to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon that features the most iconic landscapes of the American Southwest. The trip packs multiple must-see, must-do items into a long weekend all while still giving guests time to breathe and soak in the landscape.
Throughout the National Park Centennial celebration, REI had a multi-million dollar, multi-year partnership with the National Park Foundation. Over the past two years, REI Adventures donated 10 percent of the retail price for each national park trip sold to the National Park Foundation, resulting in $740,000 in additional funding.
Or, recharge over four days on REI's Whistler Mountain Biking in British Columbia, a world-class destination known for its mountain ranges, glacial lakes and sleeping volcanoes. Days are spent on quad-torching rides through mountains and valleys, with evenings in the village and soaking in the hot tub at a private chalet. A Whistler Women's Adventure is also available.
Signature Camping – REI at its finest
Drawing on the co-op's camping leadership, REI Adventures expanded its Signature Camping itineraries with two new international destinations – Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania and the Inca Trail in Peru. REI Adventures is the only active travel company to offer such deluxe accommodations and amenities along the trails of these iconic journeys.
Mount Kilimanjaro Climb – Lemosho Route is an 11-day experience up one of the seven summits of the world and the highest peak in Africa. Known as one of the most scenic routes on the mountain, guests hike across six ecological zones as they acclimatize, take in the scenery and learn about the region from local guides. REI's unique approach to Kilimanjaro's Southern Circuit includes new exclusive camp locations featuring REI Signature Camps that keep guests comfy and energized as they summit.
In Peru, REI Adventures' Machu Picchu – Inca Trail Trek is a nine-day fully-supported journey through lush valleys filled with wild orchids and rainbow-colored mosses to the breathtaking "Lost City of the Incas." Trek up to seven miles each day with only a day pack, while a Signature Camp awaits your arrival each evening with spacious tents, amazing meals and more.
About REI Adventures
Award-winning REI Adventures has been a global leader in worldwide guided active adventure trips since 1987. As the travel business for national specialty outdoor retailer REI, the company offers unique itineraries focused on sustainable, human-powered outdoor adventure, including hiking, biking, kayaking, climbing and more. Guests experience iconic destinations as guides take them off the "beaten path," and provide opportunities to explore a destination, get to know the local people, their culture, the flora and fauna and discover things they would not be able to duplicate on their own or with another travel company. REI members receive a special discount price on most trips. For more information, full itineraries and trip reviews provided by guests, visit http://www.rei.com/adventures.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/rei-adventures-launches-womens-adventures-collection-and-mountain-bike-trips-expands-signature-camping-on-mount-kilimanjaro-and-on-the-inca-trail-300398022.html
SOURCE REI Adventures