DALLAS, March 22, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced a new single-chip reinforced isolator with integrated power that offers 80 percent higher efficiency than existing integrated devices. With the industry's most efficient power transfer, lowest radiated emissions and highest immunity this new reinforced isolator supports reliable operation of industrial systems, including factory automation, grid infrastructure, motor control, isolated power supplies, and test and measurement equipment.
Compared to discrete solutions, the ISOW7841 integrates both isolated data and power, enabling a smaller bill of materials (BOM) and reduced board space, as well as helping with easier and faster system certification. For more information, see www.ti.com/isow-pr.
Key features and benefits of the ISOW7841
- Eighty percent higher efficiency: With the industry's lowest power consumption, the ISOW7841 reduces device operating temperature by up to 40 degrees C, enabling higher power delivery, higher channel count and longer system lifetime than other integrated solutions.
- Single-chip reinforced isolated power and data up to 100 Mbps: Combining reinforced isolation and DC/DC conversion in a single package minimizes board space and cost for easier multichannel system design. A working voltage of 1 kVrms helps provide improved system reliability and lifetime. The ISOW7841 supports an input voltage range of 3V to 5.5V, while delivering an industry best 0.65W of output power.
- More than 10-dB lower radiated emissions: The ISOW7841 improves system signal integrity by minimizing system noise and providing robust electromagnetic compatibility to meet International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) 61000-4-x standards for electrostatic discharge and electrical fast transient events. Additionally, the reinforced isolator offers the highest level of immunity available in the market today reducing the effect of noise and high-voltage events on the industrial equipment.
The ISOW7841 reinforced isolator with a three forward/one backward channel configuration is the first device in the ISOW78xx family, with multiple devices expected later in 2017. These new devices join TI's isolation portfolio that supports the highest isolation ratings, reliability, immunity and performance.
Tools and support to speed design
Designers can quickly and easily evaluate the new reinforced isolator with the ISOW7841 evaluation module (ISOW7841EVM), available today for US$49 from the TI store and authorized distributors. Engineers can also jump-start their system design with the integrated signal and power reference designs for isolated RS-485 and RS-232. Additionally, another reference design is available to help integrate reinforced isolation and power in an industrial grid design.
Package, availability and pricing
The ISOW7841 reinforced isolator with integrated power is now available through the TI store and authorized distributors in a 16-pin small outline integrated circuit (SOIC) wide-body package. This device is available in both fail-safe low and fail-safe high configurations. Pricing starts at US$5.50 in 1,000-unit quantities.
Visit TI at APEC
See the reinforced isolator with integrated power and learn about other ways TI is giving engineers the power to innovate, design and learn by visiting booth No. 701 at the Applied Power Electronics Conference (APEC) in Tampa, Florida, March 27-29, 2017.
Learn more from TI's reinforced isolation experts
- Download the ISOW7841 data sheet.
- Learn more about TI's isolation devices.
- Download the white paper, "Fully integrated signal and power isolation – applications and benefits."
- Read more about signal isolation with integrated power in this Industrial Strength blog post.
- Watch the video, "Reinforced isolation and power: an integration story."
- Search for solutions and engage with fellow engineers and TI experts in the TI E2E™ Community Isolation forum.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog integrated circuits (ICs) and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/reinforced-isolator-with-integrated-power-offers-industrys-highest-efficiency-lowest-emissions-300427352.html
SOURCE Texas Instruments