Report: U.S. Consumers Still Motivated by Emotion, But Multiple Trend Factors Also Drive Buying Decisions
New report by fragrance company Arylessence describes nine 'deep trends' that define U.S. consumer attitudes and predict future buying behaviors
ATLANTA, Oct. 22 /PRNewswire/ -- Sensory touch-points and the desire for sensuous, emotional experiences are still among the key factors driving U.S. consumer buying decisions, says a new report from Arylessence, a leading U.S. fragrance and flavor company. But this 'emotive edge' is just one of nine significant 'deep trends' that reflect how consumers make choices today and predict how marketers will respond in 2011 and beyond. Now in its tenth edition, Arylessence TrendWatch reports on multiple trend factors that influence consumers, drive purchasing decisions, and create new product opportunities for marketers.
"We are tracking the trends that define American consumers," says Steve Tanner, President of Arylessence. "When you understand the perceptions and preferences shared by millions of Americans, the consumer landscape comes sharply into focus. Our insights help marketers develop innovative fragrances and flavors that not only connect where consumers are today, but where they will be tomorrow."
Using consumer data gathered from over 30 independent sources and an on-going research and discovery process, Arylessence TrendWatch shares detailed insights on nine individual trends and their defining factors, which include fragrance and flavor notes, color factors, media influences, advertising and messaging themes, and new product innovations. The report catalogs over 280 new products introduced this year, reflecting the growing diversity of American tastes, increased experimentation by consumers, and the determination of U.S. and global manufacturers to innovate and improve competitiveness.
"Even in a challenging economy, U.S. consumers continue to look for inspiration and ideas that connect to their passions," says Arylessence Marketing Director Lori Miller Burns. "People are demanding the best quality, multiple benefits, maximum performance, and less waste from products that cost less, including private label brands – but they also want exotic, super-ingredients like acai, lulo, and acerola; natural, soothing products that nurture and protect; and stimulating foods and flavors they have never tasted before; all sourced in sustainable, earth-friendly ways. For these products, consumers are willing to pay premium prices."
Deep trends reported in Arylessence TrendWatch include:
- Emotive Edge – ideas that connect with sensory touch points, transform consumers emotionally, and deliver memorable, sensuous experiences
- American Stories – a passion for American values, patriotic themes, and increasingly, locally sourced and locally produced foods, beverages, clothing and accessories
- South America! – reflecting the creative vitality and rich resources of South American countries like Brazil, plus the diversity of natural, exotic, and nurturing ingredients sourced from the Amazon rainforest and other regions
- Style Rewind -- renewed interest by fashion designers and consumers in everything vintage, classic, and timeless, evoked by Hollywood glamour, old-world aristocracy, pre-war luxury, the Beat generation, and hippie culture from the 1960s
- Eco Evolution -- reflecting a profound change in how global corporations, small entrepreneurs and consumers alike now think about the world, sharing a commitment to sustainability, protecting the planet, reducing waste, and using resources responsibly
- Modern Menu -- a major trend on food, how people relate to food, and how American attitudes to food are changing, while U.S. food marketers and retailers innovate to keep pace with culinary desires.
Other Arylessence trends include Bang for Your Buck, redefining what value means; The Power of Nature, about nature's ability to care, nurture, nourish and protect; and Cause an Effect,
where the proceeds from consumer purchases benefit others and help make the world a better place.
"Using fragrances and flavors that anticipate where trends are heading is the fastest way to transform a product or a brand," says Arylessence Marketing Director Lori Miller Burns. "Trend analysis creates sensory opportunities that not only connect with consumer interests, but also take the consumer's emotional experience to an entirely new level."
Additional sections of Arylessence TrendWatch cover consumer demographics, 'green' marketing and sustainability issues, new packaging designs, people-friendly 'ecodesign', and the growth of private brands.
Arylessence is a leading fragrance and flavor company known for creative innovation in beauty and cosmetics, personal care, laundry and household products, and pharmaceuticals, as well as prepared foods, beverages, and oral care, lip care, and confectionary products. Leaders in the design of natural and organic fragrances, as well as sustainably-produced scents for today's environmentally sensitive products, Arylessence perfumers, application scientists and marketing experts work closely with clients in a multi-disciplinary, team-based environment. Arylessence provides marketing resources, proprietary product development processes, and strategic insights to help clients achieve product differentiation, consumer preference, and marketplace success. For more about Arylessence: www.arylessence.com.
SOURCE Arylessence, Inc.
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.