Research Drives Innovation: The Great American Shower Study Delta Faucet Company and Synovate e-Nation Partner to Conduct a Nationwide Omnibus Survey to Understand Americans' Secret Shower Behaviors
INDIANAPOLIS, Dec. 17, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- At Delta Faucet Company, we believe that there is a better way to live with water. This conviction goes beyond excellent design to incorporate smart thinking that anticipates people's needs. Delta Faucet conducts extensive consumer research to tailor designs with technologies that enhance the user's experience. In October 2010, Delta Faucet partnered with e-Nation to conduct a nationwide study to learn more about Americans' shower habits. eNation, Synovate's national online omnibus research service, conducts surveys of 1,000 online interviews from a national sample of American adults, ages 18 and older, across the U.S. Listed below is a sample of the results.
We live in stressful times
- The less affluent are more likely than others to take showers for relaxation, to escape, to get away, meditate, relieve pain and warm up. Showers are used as a way to relax and are a more affordable alternative to a pricey massage, although affluent consumers shower more often than low-income consumers.
- 41% of those making $25,000 per year or less use the shower to relax and escape compared with only 30% of people who make up to $50,000 per year and only 18% of people who make up to $75,000 per year.
Whatcha doin' in there?
- New England residents shampoo 93% of the time that they shower while Southerners only shampoo 67% of the time.
- One in five adults living in the south showers eight or more times per week, despite extensive droughts and water restrictions.
- West South Central states (Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana) are much less likely to spend time thinking in the shower - only 6% of respondents said they use showers for thinking time compared to 47% in the neighboring East South Central region (Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi and Alabama).
The Buddy System
- Many men say their dream shower would include more room for significant others (40% of men), but women would rather have ambient music and lighting (45% of women).
- South Atlantic residents are significantly more likely to shower with a significant other (12%) than Middle Atlantic residents (a sad 1%).
Men are from Mars
- About 40% of women say that "My shower is my time for focusing on just me" compared to only 28% of men who responded the same way.
- 4% of female respondents would rather take a good shower than talk to their significant other.
- Just like the remote though, men are more likely to be finicky showerers. Men change the spray pattern and adjust water flow in the shower significantly more often than women.
Better than a cup of Joe
- 18% of all respondents (male and female) say their shower is more important to them than their first cup of coffee.
- 10% of women say if something interrupts their shower routine, their whole day is out of whack.
- Interestingly, single adults are more likely than married adults to shower with the purpose of waking up or warming up.
Studies like this tell Delta Faucet research and development experts a lot about Americans' secret shower behaviors, enabling Delta Faucet to design innovations and technologies that enhance people's experience with water in their homes.
About Delta Faucet
There is a philosophy at the heart of every Delta® product: there is a better way to live with water. It goes beyond excellent design to incorporate smart thinking that anticipates people's needs. From Touch2O® Technology that turns faucets on and off with just a touch, to a DIAMOND™ valve that helps the faucet last up to 5 million uses, Delta faucets incorporate thoughtful features that delight. Paired with beautiful inspirational design, it's another way that the Delta brand is more than just a faucet.
A worldwide leader in faucets and related accessories, Delta Faucet sells products in more than 53 countries. For more information, visit www.deltafaucet.com or call toll-free at 800-345-DELTA (3358).
Masco Corporation (NYSE: MAS), is one of the world's largest manufacturers of brand-name consumer products for the home and family, including Behr® paint, Delta® and Hansgrohe® faucets, bath and shower fixtures, KraftMaid® and Merillat® cabinets, Milgard® windows and doors and Verve™ lighting systems. Masco is also a leading provider of services that include the installation of insulation and other building products through Masco Contractor Services and Masco Home Services. Visit www.masco.com for more information on the Masco family of brands.
Christiana (Brenner) Schaefer, MSLGROUP
Susie Jaffe, MSLGROUP
SOURCE Delta Faucet Company