RetailMeNot Shoppers Trend Report: More Than Half of Consumers Typically Fall Out of Love With New Year's Resolutions By Valentine's Day Of those who have made 2013 resolutions, nearly 4 in 10 (36%) believe they will break them
AUSTIN, Texas, Jan. 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- RetailMeNot.com (www.retailmenot.com), the largest online coupon site in the United States, today released the New Year's Resolution edition of its Shoppers Trend Report (STR), revealing results from a poll conducted by The Omnibus Company (http://www.omnibus.com) that found consumers are resolving to lose weight, exercise more and save money in 2013. However, of those consumers who make resolutions, 73% percent usually break them before the end of the year, with 53% breaking their resolutions as early as Valentine's Day.
The poll revealed the most popular resolutions pertain to weight loss, fitness and personal finance in 2013:
- More women than men have resolved to exercise more (60% vs. 49%) and lose weight (55% vs. 42%) in the New Year.
- When it comes to weight-loss assistance, technology reigns supreme: More than 4 in 10 (44%) respondents indicated that they prefer to use a mobile app or online service like Weightwatchers.com when they are trying to lose weight.
- To save money this year when shopping online and in-store, 93% of consumers plan to use coupons or promotional codes.
- More than half (53%) plan to use coupons and promotions codes more often than in previous years.
The poll also found that 59% of respondents did not make any resolutions for 2013. And, of those who did, nearly 4 in 10 (36%) believe they will break them. To help consumers stay on track, RetailMeNot Senior Editor Trae Bodge offers the following tips for sticking to your resolutions without sacrificing personal finance goals.
Don't let cost deter you from finding a weight-loss program that works in a way that you respond to.
- If you need a support system, try a program that requires you to attend meetings or classes.
- If you lack willpower, try prepared meals.
- Visit RetailMeNot to save money on weight-loss programs like WeightWatchers and pre-made meal suppliers like Nutrisystem and supplements.
- Because fitness is top of mind right now, many gyms offer incentives to join at the beginning of the year.
- Intimidated by the gym? Find a great DVD workout or invest in exercise equipment to practice an at-home fitness routine.
- If you're the do-it-yourself type when it comes to working out, download an engaging fitness app like Zombies, Run! or online program to stay motivated.
- If most workouts bore you, explore out-of-the-ordinary options like P90X or yoga hula-hooping.
- If you struggle with budgeting or managing finances on your own, invest in a tool like Mint or products from Quicken to help you get on track.
- Never take a price at face value. Use price comparison tools like Google Shopping and look for coupons on RetailMeNot.com to find the lowest possible price for every purchase.
- When you do save on a purchase, be sure to actually move that money into a place where it cannot be accessed easily. Download an app like ImpulseSave that allows you to transfer money directly into a savings account when you decide against purchasing that daily latte or other splurge.
The survey was conducted between January 2nd and January 7th, 2013, among 1,000 consumers ages 18 and over, using an email invitation and an online survey. Quotas are set to ensure reliable and accurate representation of the entire U.S. population ages 18 and over. Results of any sample are subject to sampling variation. The magnitude of the variation is measurable and is affected by the number of interviews and the level of the percentages expressing the results. In this particular study, the chances are 95 in 100 that a survey result does not vary, plus or minus, by more than 3.1 percentage points from the result that would be obtained if interviews had been conducted with all persons in the universe represented by the sample. The margin of error for any subgroups will be slightly higher.
RetailMeNot.com (www.retailmenot.com) is the leading consumer destination for collaborative online coupon, deal and promotional code hunting and sharing. Our mission is to help consumers save money and enjoy a hassle-free discount shopping experience. Since November 2006, our users have shared hundreds of thousands of deals and offers from retailers from across the globe. Online coupons are rated and ranked by users, ensuring that quality deals rise to the top and expired coupons drop down the list. RetailMeNot.com is operated by WhaleShark Media, Inc., the world's leading marketplace for online coupons and deals.
Shopping on the go? Download the RetailMeNot Coupons app for iPhone and Android phones to access Hot Deals, browse top coupons, popular stores and categories and get thousands of online and in-store coupons to shop when you want, where you want. Make sure to "like" RetailMeNot.com and authorize the RetailMeNot app on Facebook, follow the company via Twitter @retailmenot and add us on Google+.
About WhaleShark Media, Inc.
WhaleShark Media, Inc. (www.whalesharkmedia.com) is the world's leading marketplace for online coupons and deals. The company's websites enable consumers seeking to save money to find hundreds of thousands of offers from retailers across the globe.
WhaleShark Media experiences more than 450 million consumer visits to its sites every year. The WhaleShark Media portfolio of coupon and deal websites includes www.RetailMeNot.com, the largest online coupon site in the United States; www.VoucherCodes.co.uk, the largest online coupon site in the United Kingdom; www.Deals.com in Germany; web.Bons-de-Reduction.com and www.Poulpeo.com in France; and www.Deals2Buy.com, a leading discount offer site in North America. WhaleShark Media is a fast-growing, profitable company funded by venture capital firms Austin Ventures, Norwest Venture Partners, Adams Street Partners, Google Ventures, J.P. Morgan Asset Management and Institutional Venture Partners (IVP).
WhaleShark Media, Inc. (operator of RetailMeNot.com)
+1 512 777 2957
WhaleShark Media, Inc. (operator of RetailMeNot.com)
+1 832 398 5792
Allison+Partners Public Relations