RetailMeNot Shoppers Trend Report Reveals 73% of Moms Surveyed Are Hoping for a Gift on Their Special Day 67% of survey respondents - spouses and children with mothers - plan to spend $100 or less on a Mother's Day gift
AUSTIN, Texas, May 9, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- RetailMeNot.com (www.retailmenot.com), the largest online coupon site in the United States, revealed today in its Mother's Day edition of the Shoppers Trend Report that despite what moms may say, 73% of moms surveyed want a gift for Mother's Day. The RetailMeNot survey jointly conducted with Ipsos Public Affairs (www.ipsos.com), also found that 42% of spouses surveyed do not intend on buying a gift for their partner this Mother's Day, setting the stage for what could be time spent in the doghouse.
For a copy of the full report, visit http://whalesharkmedia.mediaroom.com/mothersday.
Other key findings include:
- 14% of all respondents have at one time forgotten to wish their mom a happy Mother's Day!
- Men are more likely than women to forget Mother's Day, with 20% of men surveyed saying they have forgotten to wish their mom well on the special day in the past (as opposed to 8% of women surveyed).
- A phone call is the most common mode of communication used by those surveyed (43%), followed by an in-person conversation (39%) or a greeting card (38%). Perhaps a testament to tech-savvy moms everywhere, 20% typically greet mom via social media, email or text message.
- When asked what they are most hoping to get as a gift this year, the majority of mom respondents (52%) reported they wanted items that cost money.
- 34% of mom respondents indicated that they prefer gift cards (19%) or flowers (15%) as the two top gifts for Mother's Day.
- When it comes to celebrating Mother's Day with a meal, mom respondents are most likely to prefer a fancy dinner (38%) or brunch (32%) over breakfast in bed (7%).
To save money on Mother's Day gifts, visit http://www.retailmenot.com/offers/mothersday for top coupons by gift category.
Methodology for Ipsos Survey
These are some of the findings of an Ipsos poll conducted April 26–30, 2012. For the survey, national samples of 1,009 adults aged 18 and older from Ipsos' U.S. online panel were interviewed online, including 385 mothers of a child of any age. Weighting was then employed to balance demographics and ensure that the sample's composition reflects that of the U.S. adult population according to Census data and to provide results intended to approximate the sample universe. A survey with an unweighted probability sample of 1,009 and a 100% response rate would have an estimated margin of error of +/- 3.1 percentage points. All sample surveys and polls may be subject to other sources of error, including, but not limited to coverage error, and measurement error.
RetailMeNot.com (www.retailmenot.com) is the leading consumer destination for collaborative online coupon, deal and promotional code hunting and sharing. Our mission is to help consumers save money and enjoy a hassle-free discount shopping experience. Since November 2006, our users have shared hundreds of thousands of deals and offers from retailers from across the globe. Online coupons are rated and ranked by users, ensuring that quality deals rise to the top and expired coupons drop down the list. RetailMeNot.com is operated by WhaleShark Media, Inc., the world's leading marketplace for online coupons and deals.
About WhaleShark Media, Inc.
WhaleShark Media, Inc. (www.whalesharkmedia.com) is the world's leading marketplace for online coupons and deals. The company's websites enable consumers seeking to save money to find hundreds of thousands of offers from retailers across the globe. WhaleShark Media experiences more than 400 million consumer visits to its sites every year. The WhaleShark Media portfolio of coupon and deal websites includes www.RetailMeNot.com, the largest online coupon site in the United States; www.VoucherCodes.co.uk, the largest online coupon site in the United Kingdom; www.Deals.com in Germany; www.Deals2Buy.com; www.CouponSeven.com; and www.CouponShare.com. WhaleShark Media is a fast-growing, profitable company funded by venture capital firms Austin Ventures, Norwest Venture Partners, Adams Street Partners, Google Ventures, J.P. Morgan Asset Management and Institutional Venture Partners (IVP).
+1 512 777 2957 office
+1 202 330 3070 mobile
+1 512 777 2887
+1 832 398 5792