NORWALK, Conn., Nov. 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- UBM Medica US announces that Rheumatology Network presents comprehensive coverage of the 2013 annual meeting of the American College of Rheumatology, specialists in inflammatory and auto-immune disorders including rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and gout.
Concluded last week in San Diego, the massive conference included many pioneering insights into these baffling diseases. Rheumatology Network, an independent online community created for these specialists, has culled more than 2,500 research reports presented at the meeting, guided by its expert Editorial Board of prominent rheumatologists.
The many on-site reports from the meeting include the following:
- Among patients with moderate cases of the autoimmune disease lupus, three of four are able to stop medication entirely without any remissions or "flares" for at least 3 years.
- A drug commonly used in rheumatoid arthritis, rituximab, appears effective against a baffling disorder known as IgG4-related disease that leads to painful and disfiguring overgrowths of fibrotic tissue in lymph and salivary glands. Until now the only drugs known to help this distressing condition were dangerous steroids.
- Although many patients with the chronic pain syndrome fibromyalgia notice cognitive problems, a new study resolves their fear that this may be an early sign of Alzheimer's disease. The problems do not worsen with time, and do not resemble signs of early dementia.
- A new kind of anti-inflammatory drug, apremilast, proved significantly better than placebo in treating psoriatic arthritis, a painful condition that sometimes evolves from the skin disorder psoriasis.
- Children born to women with a common auto-immune condition, lupus, appear to be at higher risk of autism spectrum disorders and attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder.
More than 46 million people in the United States have arthritis or other rheumatic conditions, yet the symptoms of these disorders often mimic each other, requiring rheumatologists to function as a combination of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson.
About UBM Medica US
Addressing today's healthcare information needs, UBM Medica US, delivers strategic, integrated communications solutions and comprehensive reach -- online, in print, and via custom programs. Improving the effectiveness of healthcare through information and education, UBM Medica US provides unbiased clinical, practical, and business information for physicians, providers, payers, and patients around the world. Through journals, magazines, websites, online communities, drug databases, digital events, and other valuable resources, UBM Medica US also delivers comprehensive communication solutions for the pharmaceutical and related industries. Websites include CancerNetwork.com, ConsultantLive.com, DiagnosticImaging.com, RheumatologyNetwork.com, OBGYN.net, PhysiciansPractice.com, PsychiatricTimes.com and SearchMedica.com. UBM Medica US is part of UBM Connect which through a range of aligned interactive environments, both physical and digital – increases business effectiveness for both customers and audiences through meaningful experiences, knowledge and connections. Headquartered in New York, UBM Connect brings together UBM's US healthcare business, UBM Medica; UBM Canon's advanced design and manufacturing event, online and print brands; UBM Connect New York's catering, cruise shipping, customer management, and fine, specialty & custom chemical communities; and UBM Mexico's concrete show. For more information, visit www.UBMMedicaUS.com.
About UBM plc
UBM plc is a global events-led marketing services and communications company. We help businesses do business, bringing the world's buyers and sellers together at events and online, as well as producing and distributing news and specialist content. Our 5,500 staff in more than 30 countries are organised into expert teams which serve commercial and professional communities, helping them to do business and their markets to work effectively and efficiently.
For more information, go to http://www.ubm.com; follow us on Twitter at @UBM_plc to get the latest UBM corporate news; follow @UBM for news and updates from across the businesses and selected members of UBM's Twitterati.
Jason J. Golden
Content Marketing Manager
SOURCE UBM Medica US