Rhinoplasty, or Nose Reshaping, Provides Most Cosmetic and Emotional Benefit when Expectations are Clear and Realistic
Understanding Rhinoplasty Goals and Finding Right Plastic Surgeon is Key to Success with Popular, but Complex, Procedure
TARRYTOWN, N.Y., June 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Rhinoplasty, or a "nose job," is the second most commonly performed cosmetic surgical procedure in the United States, but is also a complex surgery that requires a skilled plastic surgeon to achieve aesthetically pleasing and natural results. Americans underwent 243,000 rhinoplasty procedures in 2012, yet the surgery is not easy to do well due to the complicated anatomy of the nose, and experience is critical to successful results.
"A person considering rhinoplasty should understand that the goal is a nose that looks attractive, but also fits well into their particular facial structure," said Tae Ho Kim, M.D., assistant professor at New York Medical College and a plastic surgeon with the New York Group for Plastic Surgery. "Someone with a realistic understanding of what is surgically possible and appropriate for their face is most likely to experience a positive emotional outcome following a nose reshaping procedure."
Dr. Kim said that many people with "less than perfect" noses by today's aesthetic standards are quite happy with their appearance, with no need to seek rhinoplasty. But for others, a reshaped nose may provide a significant benefit in how they view themselves, thereby also bolstering their confidence level.
"The nose, along with the eyes and lips, is the most prominent facial feature," said Dr. Kim. "Reshaping an overly large, crooked or bumpy nose is really about bringing symmetry and balance to the face."
Dr. Kim offers the following insights for someone considering rhinoplasty:
- Keep top of mind that it's not the nose in and of itself, but the symmetry and balance of the face overall, that determines what is perceived as aesthetically pleasing. The nose should be viewed holistically as one important element of your facial features.
- If a plastic surgeon offers or agrees to shape your nose to replicate a celebrity's rather than giving you one that fits well into your own face, seek out another surgeon! It's critical to be given a realistic understanding of what is and is not possible—and just as important, desirable—in order to achieve a positive cosmetic and emotional outcome from rhinoplasty.
- It's very important to find a plastic surgeon performing rhinoplasty surgeries on a constant basis, not just "once in a while," and who can provide cosmetically pleasing and natural-looking results. Do your research online and talk to friends or family who've had successful rhinoplasty outcomes.
- The plastic surgeon should spend adequate time sharing the surgical goals and expected outcome with you, and listening to your hopes and expectations in turn. The surgeon should ask what you currently like or dislike about your nose, and review each part of your nose with you to clarify goals for symmetry, width, shape, proper proportions and overall balance with your face.
- While patients of all ages seek rhinoplasty, as a rule it's best to wait until at least the age of 14 or 15, depending on the size and shape of the nose.
- In my experience, people who have a good rhinoplasty result and are happier about their appearance ultimately feel better and more confident about themselves inside, too. Finding an experienced plastic surgeon and having a clear and realistic understanding of expected results is key to a successful rhinoplasty.
About the New York Group for Plastic Surgery
The New York Group for Plastic Surgery is comprised of highly trained reconstructive and plastic surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) and recognized for their specialized medical and cosmetic surgical skills and personalized patient care. The New York Group for Plastic Surgery serves patients from communities in the entire Hudson River Valley, New York City, Northern New Jersey, Eastern Pennsylvania and Western Connecticut, as well as patients who travel from across the United States and internationally for their expertise. http://www.nygplasticsurgery.com.
AZ Healthcare Communications
SOURCE New York Group for Plastic Surgery
More by this Source
Liquid Facelift Quick and Effective for Reversing Signs of Aging and Fatigue
Aug 19, 2013, 09:50 ET
Early Surgical Correction for Babies Critical to Cleft Lip and Palate Repair
Aug 15, 2013, 09:50 ET
Weight Management Key to Long-Lasting Liposuction Benefit
Aug 06, 2013, 09:50 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.