Rick Perry's Lead Grows to Nearly 50% of Likely Voters According to Texas Credit Union League Poll
AUSTIN, Texas, Feb. 10 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Texas Credit Union League Poll of Texas Primary Voters, released today, shows incumbent Rick Perry close to a majority, hlding a 22 point lead over Kay Bailey Hutchison in the Republican primary race for Governor. According to the poll of likely primary voters, Rick Perry leads with 49%, Hutchison holds 27% and Debra Medina rose to 19%.
In the Democratic primary race for Governor, Bill White reached 51%, with Farouk Shami holding a distant 19%. Held a little more than a week before the start of early voting, pollsters questioned likely primary voters about top national and state issues, favorability rankings of state elected officials, and more, all broken out in terms of demographics including area of the state, income, ethnicity, and party affiliation.
Other key findings:
- In a hypothetical run-off between Perry and Hutchison, the Governor prevails handily 58% to 34%.
- 62% of Republican primary voters say they are "much more" (36%) or "somewhat more" (26%) likely to support a candidate who considers themselves to be a "tea-party" activist.
- The poll indicates that incumbents of either party should not take this election for granted if they have an opponent, the lead for incumbents is remarkably low.
- For state legislators, Democratic primary voters prefer the incumbent to a challenger by a 39% to 29% margin (a 10 point spread), with 32% undecided.
- Republican state legislative incumbents, voters prefer the incumbent to a challenger, 44% GOP incumbent to 37% GOP challenger ( a 7 point spread), with 20% undecided.
- 76% of Democratic primary voters and 65% of Republican voters say they would be "much more likely" or "somewhat more likely" to support a public supporter of credit unions.
Other information of interest includes voter's verbatim responses to why they support one of the three Republican candidates for governor. Those responses along with complete results (with cross tabs and the questionnaire) are available at www.tcul.coop.
About the poll:
Every two years the Texas Credit Union League commissions primary and general election voter surveys on politics and key issues important to credit union members. Two separate surveys were conducted by nationally known Republican and Democrat research firms between February 3, 4 and 6th, 2010 and reached 400 likely Republican primary voters and 400 likely Democratic primary voters. Each survey has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.9%. Journalists citing these results may do so, but should refer to the poll as the Texas Credit Union League Poll of Texas Primary Voters.
About Texas Credit Union League™
The Texas Credit Union League is the official trade association for credit unions within the State of Texas. The League represents, on a state and federal level, nearly 600 credit unions state-wide, which are owned by over seven million members (about one-third of the state's population). Organized in 1934, the Texas Credit Union League protects credit unions and promotes their growth, strength and unity. It accomplishes the mission through advocacy services, regulatory and compliance advice, training and event activities, marketing and public relations actions, and by delivering innovative, high value and profitable business solutions to the members. For more information, visit www.tcul.coop and www.creditunionmember.org; write to us at 4455 LBJ Freeway, Suite 1100, Dallas, Texas 75244, or call us at 469-385-6400.
Texas credit unions - strong, safe, and secure for 76 years.
SOURCE Texas Credit Union League
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.