BALTIMORE, Feb. 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- On Thursday, Feb. 21 at 9 PM ET, RLTV will premiere The THORLO Story, a documentary that explores the unique success story and future direction of the family-owned and community-focused American company best known for creating activity-specific padded socks. After responding to the needs of athletes, workers and the military who spend hard hours on their feet, Statesville, NC-based manufacturer THORLO is turning its attention to creating a new niche – the 50+ market – with the intention of putting Boomers and seniors on solid footing for years to come.
The THORLO Story is the first of RLTV's new 'The Spirit of America' documentary series that examines the philosophy, strength and passion for craftsmanship of American companies determined to produce products in this country. These companies embody the determination, creativity and attitude of what it means to be "Made in the USA."
"THORLO is a great fit for RLTV's new The Spirit of America series since they have such a compelling story to tell," said RLTV Senior Vice President of Programming and Production Elliot Jacobson. "Born from humble beginnings, THORLO has flourished over 60 years and become synonymous with excellence because they listen and respond to people. From members of the US military, to a distraught mother looking for a special sock for her son who lost his foot, to the unique foot issues of Boomers, the story of THORLO's unrelenting commitment to satisfying the needs of its customers is extraordinary."
The fascinating tale of THORLO's success begins as a part-time, home-based hosiery mill, and extends to the unusual vision of CEO Jim Throneburg to ensure the long-term viability of the company once he retires. The documentary explores how dedication to simple principles of excellence is the foundation of a multi-faceted American corporate success story. Some of the elements of this story include:
- How Throneburg's encounter with a professional female golfer dissatisfied with the quality of women's socks ultimately led THORLO to re-engineer and create a whole line of high-quality, comfortable activity-specific performance socks with unique padding.
- THORLO's long history of donating its padded socks to men and women in the military.
- A legendary corporate culture which empowers staff to go "above and beyond" to satisfy customers – even when it means spending hours on the phone with one customer or designing a special sock at no cost for a boy who lost his foot.
- The creation of the non-profit Institute for Preventive Foot Health, which is a resource for best practices for preventive foot health.
- How tennis great Martina Navratilova sought out THORLO eager to endorse the socks, because she loved them and wouldn't wear any others; and
- The creation, through years of research and development, of proprietary yarns that put the "magic" in the padded socks.
"We are proud of the collaborative, innovative and responsive environment we have established at THORLO that has helped us create a superior product and stay competitive as a U.S. manufacturer when almost all other regular socks are produced overseas," said THORLO CEO Jim Throneburg. "We are delighted to showcase THORLO's story to RLTV viewers, especially as we expand and transform our business to create products that address the foot health needs of 50+ consumers and help keep them active and engaged."
For additional air dates and times for The THORLO Story. go to www.rl.tv.
The only cable network and online destination created specifically for adults 50 and over, RLTV (www.rl.tv) offers unique, inspiring programming that mature, experienced and knowledgeable viewers desire and appreciate. The network's Emmy Award–winning content focuses on topics that matter to Generation 50+, from relationships, reinvention, rediscovering passions and retirement, to finances, health, and current events. At RLTV, it's all about rethinking life beyond 50. RLTV. Experience Matters.
About THORLO, Inc.
North Carolina-based THORLO, Inc., the originator of activity-specific padded socks and the Thorlosa brand, is committed to providing consumers with foot protection and comfort. Scientific, peer-reviewed research stands behind the Thorlos promise: "Your Feet Will Feel Better or Your Money Backa." Thorlos clinically-tested padded socks are uniquely designed and engineered to help protect feet from blisters, foot pain or discomfort, pressures and moisture, enabling consumers to enjoy more active lifestyles. Thorlos are made in the USA. For more information about Thorlo visit www.thorlos.com.