RLTV's Unique, Fast-Paced New Series Bookmark, Premiering May 17, Explores The Culture And World Of Books -- Host Daryn Kagan interviews some of America's best-selling and most interesting authors --
BALTIMORE, April 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Beginning Friday, May 17 at 10 PM ET, RLTV, the only cable network and online destination for adults 50+, premieres Bookmark, a fast-paced weekly series that explores the culture surrounding books in America today. Hosted by author, columnist and former CNN anchor Daryn Kagan, Bookmark presents intriguing book-centric features that include stories on how books have shaped people's lives, surprising, sometimes-quirky aspects of literary culture, and compelling interviews with America's best-selling, most interesting authors.
Bookmark encompasses literature of all flavors, including fiction, lifestyle, celebrity, cooking, and biography. Among the best-selling and award-winning authors who appear are:
- Mary Higgins Clark – Prolific suspense novelist whose books have sold more than 100 million copies in the U.S. alone discusses recent books Daddy's Gone a Hunting and The Lost Years
- Kerry Hanon – Award-winning author reveals many insights of her books Great Jobs for Everyone 50+: Finding Work That Keeps You Happy and Healthy … And Pays the Bills. And What's Next? Follow Your Passions and Find Your Dream Job. Hanon is AARP's Jobs Expert and writes the "Second Verse" column for Forbes.com
- Lisa Scottoline – Edgar Award-winning author of 20 novels discusses her newest novel Don't Go
- Delia Ephron – the celebrated author, playwright and screenwriter talks about her latest book, The Lion is In
- Bob Dotson – NBC News and Today Show correspondent talks about some of the fascinating 50+ people who are featured in his new book American Story, including the boss who came out of retirement to start a new company for his former employees who could not find work.
- James McBride – The writer and musician discusses his autobiographical The Color Of Water: A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother and his latest novel Song Yet Sung; and
Film and theater critic Jeffrey Lyons joins Kagan each week for "Touche," in which he compares classic books and the movies made from them, and pronounces which is better.
Additional segments include:
- Tweetly Noted - tweet-sized, quick-fire mini-book reviews
- Book Notes – interesting facts about books and writers today;
- Book-related survey questions for viewers; and a
- Weekly report from contributors Tricia Springer and Bobby Rivers, who explore the extraordinary world of book culture, covering such events and subjects as
- The art and science of book covers;
- Book Auctions
- Mystery and Romance Writers' Conventions; and
- Enhanced e-books and next generation reading platforms.
"My recent career has been spent in pursuit of inspiring and positive stories, and hosting Bookmark fits perfectly into this agenda," said Kagan. "Books can make such a difference in someone's life; I am delighted to join with RLTV to bring viewers this unique and lively show that captures the magic and power of books."
Americans' love of books translates into a robust publishing business, with total 2012 industry revenues having increased 6.2% over 2011 to $7.1 billion, of which $1.54 billion came from e-books. According to Pew's Internet & American Life survey from November 2012, one in every three people owns some kind of device — tablet, e-reader or both — for e-reading.
"We know that reading is an abiding interest for Generation 50+, and Boomers read more than any other age group," said RLTV President and CEO Paul FitzPatrick. "And, with each passing year, more of that reading is done on tablets and e-readers, as research shows that Boomers make up more than 25 percent of the tablet audience."
For additional information on Bookmark and/or more airtimes, as well as clips of the series, go to www.rl.tv. Bookmark is produced for RLTV by Jay Garfinkel. Executive in Charge of Production is Elliot Jacobson.
About Daryn Kagan
Daryn Kagan is the creator and host of DarynKagan.com, an online site that features a daily webcast of inspiring stories that "Show the World What's Possible!"DarynKagan.com is a daily destination for thousands of Internet users who seek news stories that inspire.
Before launching her website, Daryn spent 12 years as a news anchor at CNN. She also reported live from several major events around the world, including the war in Iraq, the September 11th terrorist attacks and numerous presidential elections.
In addition, Daryn is an accomplished book author with "What's Possible! 50 True Stories of People Who Dared To Dream They Could Make a Difference," published by Meredith Books in April 2008. Daryn's second book — "Paw Prints on My Heart," featuring inspirational pet stories — will be published in 2013.
The only cable network and online destination created specifically for adults 50+, RLTV (www.rl.tv) offers unique, inspiring programming that focuses on topics that matter to Generation 50+, from relationships, reinvention, rediscovering passions and retirement, to finances, health, and current events. At RLTV, it's all about rethinking life for 50+. RLTV. Experience Matters.